MacBook or Dell Mini 12?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pinoyplaya, Mar 20, 2009.

1. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Hey guys, first of all.... I am a heavy PC Users and would like to switch to a Mac. However, I am also a college student in a budget. I have a high end custom built Gaming PC that I built myself and I would like to own a Notebook once again. My HP died on me a couple of years ago and I wish to have a portable PC I can use on the go just for browsing the web and checking e-mail and etc. No plans on playing games on it.

I want something light and durable and easy to use. I know that the low end MacBook even the refurbished one priced at $849 will suffice.

However, I am also debating whether I should get a Dell Mini 12" Netbook. I have looked at the specs and etc. It is not as fast as the MacBook but it is just as light.

Now, heres my Dillema. The Dell Mini 12" Netbook I can get for roughly $600.00 tops at the best configuration. Now, there is a MacBook on the refurbish list on Apple's Online store that is listed at $849.00 I believe. So thats a price difference of $250.00.... for that price, I can get a much better operating system as well as an excellent computer that is faster than the NetBook as well as an extra 1.3" of screen :) Haha.

Sounds like a good deal right? Yes indeed! However, here's another thing. If I do decide to get the refurbished MacBook at $849.00, then there's another refurbished Unibody MacBook for $1099.... another $250.00 more! and I can get the latest MacBook available!

So yes, thats my Dillema looking at that point of view. So Basically for twice as much as a Dell Mini 12" NetBook, I can get the latest MacBook at the refurbished price.

What do you guys think I should do? Like I said, I am a college student though I really need this notebook. :(

If I can convice my parents to pay half the price for the Unibody MacBook then I would get it :) It was my birthday yesterday so it would be a good timing.

2. Doju macrumors 68000

You'd definitely be best off with the unibody in many ways, but at the same time the white would more than suffice. If you're on a budget, it changes thing, no need to pay more for what you need because it's new and better looking.

Albeit I have a unibody and love it to pieces.

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I would suggest the unibody MacBook. I just picked it up yesterday after getting a refund for my Dell. I'll skip the details, but my online chat time with Dell totaled over 263 minutes and phone support over 10 hours. I filed a complaint with the BBB, FTC and the Attorney General as well as filing a lawsuit. After the third replacement computer in three months, I grew impatient. Not to mention on two of the computers they forgot the wireless card and forgot to put in the GPU. I'd suggest you'd never buy a Dell, especially since you're in college. If something goes wrong, Apple usually has quick turn around times (based on my iPhone). The multitouch and unibody feel make base Alu MacBook a good buy in my opinion. I bought the 2.4Ghz with a VGA and DVI adapter, AppleCare, and iWork (which I find, so far, better than MS Office!). The total came to a little less than $2,000 with tax. I'm sure I could have gotten a far better PC, but this little computer is the best computer I've owned. That's coming from someone who has never touched a Mac and whose last PC was a 2.4Ghz Quad Core with 6GB of RAM and 512MB of GPU. I just hate the two USB ports, they're so lose together.

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

The Mac is easily worth the extra $250 just based on OS X and iLife. The Asus Eee 1000HE we have here is just dog slow; really unimpressive. I wouldn't even want to use it for surfing the web and/or Office type stuff.

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502

If you want that apple coolness you could still consider buying a 12" powerbook off eBay.. you can get them really cheap.

It should perform well enough to browse, message and such.

6. paolo- macrumors 6502a

True, that computer is awesome. Even though it's getting old, it's fairly comparable to the Dell, at an even lower price, 350$ on ebay. Though it is a 4-5 year old computer, bulckier (not that much) more heavy, less battery life and powerPC support is on the way out.

You could get an older white or black macbook at that point.

But the dell seems like a really sweet deal, you could get it with ubuntu (don't even think of putting osx86 on that thing, the videocard isn't supported, and probably will never be) if you want to fool around with a new os, also saves you a few bucks. I actually loved ubuntu for web browsing and just fooling around, especially if you're a techy (you did build your own compy).

That said, I use a 2.0 uni macbook, and I love it.

Your choice probably comes down to how you plan on using your computer and what work you have to do. If you only plan on looking at notes, browsing the web and no real intensive work on the notebook, the dell should be perfect. Also keep in mind that doing the same work on two different computers can be a headache, just to drag files around and make sure you have the latest version. Even more so if they don't use the same operating system. So you'll probably end up dedicating tasks to a specific computer.

So, I'd figure out what I need my computer to do to choose what computer I need, not the other way around.

7. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Not only it would be better off getting the white macbook which is amazing specially at 999 (I got my macbook with almost half of its specs at 1299, and I still love it) but it is also a very good built computer, lightweight and durable so it is very easy to around anywhere you go. It also has a really good OS which is fast and reliable and easy to set up, so your good to go. Also if your really into your PC, you can always install windows on your mac and take it to starbucks or wherever you go and be the center of attention :) you can make all those fat bulky PC laptops in the shop look at your beautiful computer in envy.
    Maybe I am just imagining.

8. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Are you running your browser in full screen ?

9. Matek macrumors 6502a

I think most people in this topic don't really get it. This isn't about Mac vs. PC. There's no denying that the MacBook completely outclasses the Mini performance and feature-wise. Sure, the MacBook can play HD content, do some lightweight gaming, encode videos, etc. If the man was asking for a primary machine, I'd definitely recommend the Apple, but in this case, it's a no brainer.

He's asking for a lightweight, portable machine for checking emails and surfing the web. Something that would complement his desktop - netbooks were created for that! No point in spending more money on a bigger laptop that's nearly twice as heavy.

10. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Yes, my main reason for buying a new notebook/netbook is for web browsing purposes. I have no intentions in using it for games or any photo editing as I have my Desktop to do just that.

I think I will save a couple hundred dollars and get a Netbook instead, one that has a good screen size and still remain portable. Powerful enough that I can install Windows 7 and one that will have a long battery life.

And I am planning on switching to a Mac as my next main computer once I plan to upgrade my desktop. :)

Once again, thank you all for your responses :)

I just wish Apple made it legal to install their OS to any machine :) That would be nice. I know it can be done by breaking the EULA but who wants to do that :( lol

Thanks again :)

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I was looking at netbooks today and i was saying to myself this is perfect for surfing, itunes syncing, email and office apps.

i can see one of these netbooks in my near future.

12. Kaldama macrumors member

definitely go with the macbook. Its worth every cent. Besides, by purchasing dell u r taking a risk and u may end up paying more in the long run. Dell is probably the wortst choice for a mobile computer. I know that their prices often allure ppl to buy their products, but most of the times u regret it...

13. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Hm... If I get the Dell Mini 12, it would cost around say $600.00 for the specs I want... and for roughly $300.00 or more... I can get a MacBook and will have a better processor and OS. Argh... I hate my life haha

14. Matek macrumors 6502a

Again, it's not really about what's better, it's about what you need. The two laptops are hardly comparable, they belong to different classes. If you want to trade size and weight for performance, go for the MacBook. The opposite goes for the Mini 12.

15. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh... I wish they sell the refurbished MacBook on Amazon so there is not tax :( Then I would get it in no time

16. dkbuilds macrumors newbie

Sounds like on your budget you're better off with a Dell, BUT I have to tell you dell support is not impressive. The mac can run dual OS anyway so you might as well get that. A little more expensive but a whole lot more creative!

Have fun in school!

17. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah might as well get a brand new one from amazon if you're not paying the tax. Have you checked local craigslist? I got my unibody macbook for $950 and it only had 6 cycles on the battery, great cond. From an old dude that rather use his older iBook

18. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. On another subject. Question about used MB's on eBay. I have never used eBay before because I feel like I can't trust it. However, I know a lot of my friends have used it. I hate PayPal too... so thats another reason why I do not use eBay. I have had an eBay account but never really used it... never purchased anything. Today I just signed up for PayPal by linking my Credit Card just so I could bid on eBay. So I guess my question is... Do I have to have money on PayPal to be able to purchase anything or can I use my credit card that I linked via PayPal and then whenever I purchase something using PayPal it will be charged via my Credit Card. Is that how it works?

Hehe

19. ptsube macrumors 6502

Why are you even considering a Macbook for your situation?

The only reason you should consider a Macbook at this point, is if you are going to make it your main computer and sell your desktop. If this is the case, then go all out and get the Unibody Macbook or the refurb plastic Macbook. Otherwise go with a Netbook(MSI Wind or similar) or get a 13-14" HP, Dell, or Lenovo that is on sale for ~$500. There are plenty of deals like that out there.

20. ptsube macrumors 6502

When you check out through PayPal, you will have the option to select your payment method. Always buy from an established seller and make sure you are covered by the buyer protection policy before bidding or paying for an item. Also, read the listing fully, and some sellers require a certain feedback rating.

I got my Unibody Macbook on eBay. Saved about $300 off MSRP.

21. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I would definitely recommend a netbook if all you want to do on it is web browsing with it.

I have been using a unibody MB for work for years. Couple weeks ago, I picked up a netbook for web browsing at home. Not that I can't bring my MB home, it's just that the netbooks are so cute and small, and CHEAP. I mean, it's cheaper than the SSD drive I brought for my MB.

As what it's intended to do, I found the netbook great for what I do, and I never noticed it being any slower than my MB for what web related task. On the other hand, I wouldn't use it for video editing, or running virtual machine like Parallel or VMW Fusion.

I started using the netbook more and more, and eventually left my MB at work now. Especially I starting dual booting it with OS X, in addition to Windows. The OS X partition allows me to remote connect back to my MB at work and do screen sharing. I can even access the attached external drive, from any where in the world with internet. Don't underestimate the Atom 1.6 processor, that little guy is amazing. With 2GB RAM, It's unbelievably fast.

Why do you have your mind set on the Dell? I mean, $600 is a lot for a netbook when it starts at $250. I have a Lenovo S10 myself, and it's only ~$300, and a lot more ready for hackintosh.

22. pinoyplaya thread starter macrumors regular

I am currently looking at netbooks with biggers screens and I stumbled on the Dell Mini 12 and then I saw that Samsung will have one soon too.

But I guess a 10" screen will suffice. Do you have any suggestions for a 10" one? So far in my mind are the Samsung, HP, and the Lenovo you mentioned :)

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you posted this on a mac forum... what do you think the answers are going to be... :eek: