Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Resale value of MacBook will be higher than that of Dell.

If you run geekbench, you'll find Dell will only have about 85% processing power of MacBook due to windows.

Windows will slow down considerably after 6 months, OS X will not show as significant drop in performance.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Work with dells on a daily basis for a couple years and that'll convince you never to buy one.

Good luck with your choice. Mine is for the :apple: ;)

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
although you will pay more a MacBook, it will last longer and not become obsolete as quickly

applecare is awesome whereas dell's customer service (in india) is horrible

With a dell you will also be getting vista which not only is a pain to use, but is much more suceptible to viruses...

although the graphics may be better it really isnt all that noticable...

Once you go Mac you never go back!

The XPS Support isn't in India. Its the other product support that is in India.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Resale value of MacBook will be higher than that of Dell.

If you run geekbench, you'll find Dell will only have about 85% processing power of MacBook due to windows.

Windows will slow down considerably after 6 months, OS X will not show as significant drop in performance.

For the sake of objective fact, the above comment is pure conjecture. And to add in some of my own conjecture, I love macs... but so far Leopard has been a buggy crashing problem. Vista IMO is faster and more stable. I wish 10.5.2 would come out to address some of the issues.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
The video card in the XPS m1530 uses GGDR 3 memory and not 2. The Inspiron 15 inch line used the slower GDR 2 memory.
The graphics card isn't quite the same as the MBP as it uses slower GDDR 2 memory, however that is alot less noticable than the graphics performance between the macbook and the dell. If you want to play games or want the larger screen then get the Dell, if you want OSX then get the macbook.

Even if a new macbook came in a few months, the issues would still be the same.

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
When you buy a computer from the HE Store, you get a 3 year warranty as standard, (The AppleCare extends a 1yr warranty to 3 years plus 1 year phone support). Therefore, you don't need the AppleCare

Is that only for the UK? I just checked my school in the US and it only said 90 day complimentary phone support with one year parts/labor.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I had a 1st generation XPS laptop. The overheating problems were so bad they had to replace it. They gave me a XPS M170. It had 15 catastrophic hardware failures in as many months.

They replaced that with a brand new Precision M90, but by that time I gave up on Dell having even a marginally competent machine and bought a MBP. The M90 has been fine since I got it July 07, but I only use it for accessing corporate Outlook Exchange email via a VPN connection.

In the meantime I have a team of developers using 9 Dell Precision M1330. Already two have had hard drive failures and another one is about to fail.

If you get a Dell laptop, enjoy your time with help desk support in India. There will be plenty of it.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The XPS Support isn't in India. Its the other product support that is in India.
That is not correct. I had 2 XPS laptops and easily 95% of my (many) calls went to India, and I used the XPS support number. Originally they promised dedicated support by experienced gamers. That was a steaming pile of B.S.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
For the sake of objective fact, the above comment is pure conjecture. And to add in some of my own conjecture, I love macs... but so far Leopard has been a buggy crashing problem. Vista IMO is faster and more stable. I wish 10.5.2 would come out to address some of the issues.

Poor Windows XP/Vista experiences are usually because of poor useage habits.

There are tons of exploits, trojans, advertising spyware that target Windows machines. There is also a lot of tricks of the trade to get people to "willingly" install those.

If 9/10 people drove the same car, that car would be the highest stolen automobile. Not because it isn't secure, or even in demand, it's just it is every where and is easily targetted.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Poor Windows XP/Vista experiences are usually because of poor useage habits.

There are tons of exploits, trojans, advertising spyware that target Windows machines. There is also a lot of tricks of the trade to get people to "willingly" install those.

If 9/10 people drove the same car, that car would be the highest stolen automobile. Not because it isn't secure, or even in demand, it's just it is every where and is easily targetted.

Bingo. People steal iPods not because they're the bestest players ever, but because they're by far the most popular mp3 players out there, with the largest market share. No different with Windows. In fact, you could even say Zune users who spend all of their time flaming iPods are the media player equivalents of Apple users who spend all of their time flaming Windows.

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
I would go for the Macbook. I purchased one last Saturday and it is an amazing machine! (Got 4GB of RAM last night! running quicker... haven't noticed the full affect yet) I highly recommend getting the Macbook. (Plus the black one is super sexy!:cool:) I have a Dell Desktop.. its a good computer.. starting to slow down.. few years old, 1GB of RAM.... its a fairly decent machine. But all I know is that my next desktop will be an :apple: one. iMac to be exact. All said.. Go for the MacBook!

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
You seem to have had a lot of problems.

I started out as a PC user and then switched to Mac when i bought a MBP in Feb 06 and then i bought other Mac laptops. I then sold them all and bought a Dell XPS M1330. I wanted a smaller powerful notebook. My hard drive was making some clicking noises but i set it on acoustic settings in the bios and that took care of that problem for me. When i reported this problem to Dell they decided to replace my HD anyway and they had a upgraded HD delievered to my house the next day for me to install myself as that was what i wanted. I think that this clicking noise is a problem with the HD manufacturing company and not really Dell's fault as such. I was allowed to hold onto my old HD. Apple have also had some problems with HD's in some of their notebook lately.
I haven't had any problems with my notebook really. It is a lovely notebook.

I want to sell it though as Penryn is going to be released any day and i think that i want to downgrade also i always thought that i needed a dedicated video card but i think i could possibly live with an integrated card now. I probably would get a MB if they released a Penyrn version this week but i cannot wait. I also do miss MacOSX and ideally i would like to use both operating systems. I am considering getting a 12 ibook or Powerbook also and a mini PC. I tend to swap and change my computers often. I need to decide what to do soon anyway i am also considering getting a cheaper PC laptop as well.

OP in my opinion i would not buy a Santa Rosa based C2D laptop now unless it was a decent price. If you can wait i would suggest that you should wait for Penyrn. I don't know if Dell are even offering Penyrn yet on the M1530 notebook yet. Also the video card is due a refresh soon in this notebook. With Dell also if you ring up to place your order i don't know if you know this but you can often get money knocked of your order by bargaining with them.

I had a 1st generation XPS laptop. The overheating problems were so bad they had to replace it. They gave me a XPS M170. It had 15 catastrophic hardware failures in as many months.

They replaced that with a brand new Precision M90, but by that time I gave up on Dell having even a marginally competent machine and bought a MBP. The M90 has been fine since I got it July 07, but I only use it for accessing corporate Outlook Exchange email via a VPN connection.

In the meantime I have a team of developers using 9 Dell Precision M1330. Already two have had hard drive failures and another one is about to fail.

If you get a Dell laptop, enjoy your time with help desk support in India. There will be plenty of it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Work with dells on a daily basis for a couple years and that'll convince you never to buy one.

Good luck with your choice. Mine is for the :apple: ;)

I have a Latitude 620 (running XP Pro), and it's fine, other than the battery starting to lose capacity. Then again, it will cost me nothing to replace the battery, since it's a work computer.

Wish people would just lay off Dell. IMHO, unless you're dead set against Vista, XPS M1530 is a much better deal than a MacBook on specs (duh, that's not what it is competing with), and a hell of a lot better deal than the 15" MBP on price (which it is competing with).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I've used Dell desktops for the past 10 years, and the service has been outstanding.

Kidding right?

The last 10 service calls for work and people I know that own them, 8 of them the tech had to return because the Dell replacement part was bad.

Everyone in the industry knows that Dell uses defective spares...

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Kidding right?

The last 10 service calls for work and people I know that own them, 8 of them the tech had to return because the Dell replacement part was bad.

Everyone in the industry knows that Dell uses defective spares...

I disagree about Defective spares. In fact my wife was having issues with her XPS M170 and one simple call got her a new Dell XPS M1710. So far she loves it for her WOW playing etc.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
This forum is one of THE worst places on the Internet to get an un-biased opinion on which machine to go for. Either you are stupid & don't realise this, or you are trying to affirm that you should get the MacBook & so posted in a forum where you knew the consensus would be to go for the MacBook.

I would recommend that you go & ask the same question on a general computer forum, where the replies might actually be useful. As you live in the UK, I would recommend the forums over at Hexus.

jmchen3

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
if i were you i would go for the macbook
1. look alot better than dell
2. almost everyone has a dell
3. if you really like windows you can use bootcamp and dual boot both osx and vista or xp

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I disagree about Defective spares. In fact my wife was having issues with her XPS M170 and one simple call got her a new Dell XPS M1710. So far she loves it for her WOW playing etc.
I've had techs come with defective spares on several occasions, including LCD laptop displays and video boards. Wish I had a nickle for every time I was left with no functionality for nearly a week despite paying for "Next Day, Nights, Weekends" onsite service...
:rolleyes:

kashik

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
although you will pay more a MacBook, it will last longer and not become obsolete as quickly

How does a MacBook not become obsolete at the same rate as a PC based laptop? If anything, the MacBook will be obsolete sooner due to its hardware being older than the Dell's.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Simply put, its your loss if you go with a Dell. I actually feel sorry you people. You don't know what your missing.

You're brainwashed:confused:
The only reason I would recommend the Macbook is if you're going to be heavily into video editing.. otherwise the Dell is obviously the best deal.

Of course there's more to using a computer then just getting the cheapest ;)

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
I think the biggest difference between the two would be the OS.

I was thinking about getting a Dell also if new MBP updates didn't wow me, but the only reservation I have to do this is Vista.

I know that SP1 should be out soon, but I still don't know if I can handle Vista as my daily OS. I have a "gaming" PC that runs Vista, and considering that I use it once or twice a week, and only to play games on, its a fine OS.

But the other day, I was trying to put a pre release Windows Mobile 6.1 OS Rom on my AT&T Tilt phone (sorry, no more iPhone here folks) and my god, what a horrible experience!!

Why is it, when I am logged in as an administrator, does Vista tell me that I do not have sufficient admin privileges to run an app? It gets annoying very quick. Needless to say, I did what I needed to do to my phone today, at work, on a PC running XP.

I have no idea how secure Vista is, or its other advantages (I'm sure there are people that do like the OS), but I can't use it as a daily OS for web searching and email and what not.

If SP1 makes some huge changes, I might reconsider the Dell, otherwise I am sticking my current MBP or a new one.

As for the hardware in a Dell, I have several friends and relatives with Dell's. Some are new, most are old. They all love their Dell's. Looks aside (and for the record, those XPS laptops do like nice in my opinion), hardware is the same or better.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
How does a MacBook not become obsolete at the same rate as a PC based laptop? If anything, the MacBook will be obsolete sooner due to its hardware being older than the Dell's.

You need to take your Apple pill, buddy. 1+1=3 on this forum when comparing PC laptops that run OS X to PC laptops that don't. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.