Macbook or HP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skedealz, Jul 20, 2008.

1. skedealz macrumors member

Mac or PC?
    Macbook or HP?
    Macbook or HP DV2700t?

That's my ongoing debate right now, I don't know what to get. My original plan was to get a macbook and install windows xp on it but seeing that the dv2700t has better specs than the macbook (in my opinion), i did some research and found out that it was possible to install mac on windows to dual boot, but my question now is that is it possible to use the pre-installed webcam on a pc with the macs ichat? My only reason to buy a mac is just for the ichat feature.

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

If your only reason to buy a Mac is to use the iSight you may need to learn more about Macs. (But yes, Skype allows for Mac - PC video conferencing)

Oh, and concerning Windows PCs running OS X; it's illegal.

Also, the MacBooks are set to be refreshed shortly so wait before you buy anything Mac related.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not sure if you got the memo or not but it's illegal to install OSX on non-Apple hardware.

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

The Macbook comes with a built in isight camera.

Go with the mac.
    and plus, if you have Mac OS X on a pc, that violates apples terms of use, and plus, its usually very buggy (Out of Experience) Plus you will lose a lot of the features like the HP cam will probably not work, and you will have problems updating and with time machine.

On top of all of that, a mac just works. Simple as that.

5. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

i will mainly be using the laptop for school and sometimes for gaming. games like counterstrike, source, starcraft, and i might wanna try quake 4. but games are no big deal, if i can't play em on the laptop then its not a big prob.

here are the specs of both the dv2700t and the macbook though, let me know what you guys think is better.

HP Pavilion dv2700t customizable Notebook PC
    KQ654AV
    * – Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
    * – Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40GHz)
    * – 14.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
    * – 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    * – 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    * – HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Microphone + Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
    * – Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network w/Bluetooth
    * – 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    * – FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!!
    * – One 6 Cell and One 12 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries

Brand New Apple MB403LL/A
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    Superdrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)

6. muldul macrumors 6502

I believe it is against the rules to talk about anything illegal on here, and installing os x on anything other than a Mac is illegal. I would stay legal and get the Macbook

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

If you're only gonna run Windows on the computer you buy, get an HP. If you're gonna run OS X, get a Macbook.

Macs are about OS X. PC's are about specs. For that reason, as a game player, I'm strongly considering buying an HP, in addition to my Macbook, for games.

What attracts you to a Mac anyway?

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

My wife wanted a computer somewhat more than a year ago and she asked for a pc since she was afraid of macs. I bought her a HP and i really hate that machine. It doesn't have any soul so I keep using my powerbook.

9. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

my reasons for wanting a macbook is for the ichat since sometimes pc-mac camming doesnt work on aim or any other service. other than ichat, macs just a simple os to work on and its a pretty personal computer as in it feels like it was made specifically for people who are into making their own music, videos/movies, and stuff like that. and the other reason is that it can also run windows legally so i can switch back and forth from mac to xp

10. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

LOL @ people saying its illegal when 90% of people had their first gen iphone jailbroken and unlocked which is illegal and voids apple warranty. Downloading music is illegal. this and that is illegal and people still do it.

11. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

lmao, so true. but for the sake of keeping this board following the rules which i am not aware of, we'll keep this thread "legal" haha

12. cromwell64 macrumors regular

For the record, since so many people seem to be confused about this, it is not illegal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware. You simply lose any Apple support and absolve them of any liability. It is illegal to install OS X on non-Apple hardware and then try to turn a profit, but that is a whole separate issue. So this discussion does not break any rules because nothing illegal is being discussed.

13. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The 8400M GS is a pretty weak graphics chip. Is it better than the GMA X3100? Yes it is.

Also, if you're going to be bringing this around to your classes the smaller and lighter it is, the better.

14. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

yeah the weight of the dv and the macbook are the same at 5lbs

and is the macs graphics chip better than the dv's?

15. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Stay away from HP. I have a 17" HP Pavillion DV9220US and it is the biggest P.O.S. I've ever had. Constant crashes even after restoring back to factory. I am trying to sell it for like $700 and maybe someone could get some use out of it. But a laptop should not be acting like this after only 17 months. I will NEVR buy another HP unless they merge with Apple :p MBP on Tuesday ;P

16. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

One single experience means nothing. People have had similar experiences with Apple. And you should have bought the extended warranty. HP even offers accidental damage coverage, something Apple in no way will touch.

17. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

yeah, thats just a bad first experience. i have a 24" HP a6177c desktop and it works fine, i've also hooked up my ps3 to it now and then.

so it looks like im getting more yeses for the macbook?

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Well, it's a Mac forum. :rolleyes:

And you have yet to say why a Mac even interests you. HP has better specs for less. The reason to get a Mac is for OS X. If you aren't going to use OS X, why get a more expensive computer with worse specs?

19. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Computers don't have a soul, sorry. If you just need a cheap laptop for general internet use, I would really have to say get the HP. If you can afford it, by all means go for the mac but if you just need a cheap laptop for general usage, go for the HP. Or you could even go for an EE if you don't mind their size.

20. skedealz thread starter macrumors member

well, i can get the dv or the macbook for 900 so the price isnt a prob. they're equal in worth but its the specs im wondering about. what in your opinions are good about OS X? isnt OS X just an operating system?

21. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Well here are some pros and cons of both

The HP has a larger screen (same resolution though)
    While the HP has 3GB of ram, it isn't going to perform the same as the 2GB in the MP (it'll run slower, mixed ram = fail)
    The MP is built better than the HP
    The GPU's are pretty much the same in terms of performace (the 8400GS is truly awful, the X3100 isn't that bad)
    With the MP, you get OS X, with the HP you get Vista (not as bad as some people make it out to be, but OS X is far superior)

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

23. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

While I tend to agree with this I will also add that with a Mac you don't (as of now) have to worry about viruses and spyware. :D

I hated having to worry about that. :rolleyes:

Make an appointment with a genius at the Apple store. Spend some serious time on one and you will see that "they just work". :)

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Keep your pants on, sonny Jim. While it is indeed illegal to sell OS X on non-Apple computers, the jury is still out on whether or not it can be called illegal to put OS X on a computer of your own NOT for resale.

In summation: DON'T DO IT. Buy a real Mac and stop being a pretender.

25. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Get a Mac. You can run both OS X and Windows.

Seriously, three years down the road, the MB will still have value... it will still probably run the latest version of OS X, perfectly. Will you be able to say that about your HP with Windows?

Oh, and on the topic of putting OS X on your PC. Don't do it... it's fraud. :D