Macbook or iMac for about the same price

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davisac, May 20, 2008.

1. davisac macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a Mac over the summer before I start 12th grade. Im comparing the iMac 2.66ghz and the Macbook 2.4ghz. Ive used windows up till now so theres not alot that i know about macs. Which is going to get me through next year plus 4 years of college? And Pros/Cons of each. Thanks alot everyone I cant wait to get a Mac. Oh by the way going to a Mac store on Sat so I get to try them all out. Excited :)

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

If you think you might want to do some gaming, you should go for the iMac. It has a better video card than the MacBook.

If your not worried about gaming, the MacBook is great if you want portability.

Cheers.

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, basically it comes down to what you're going to do. If you do a lot of gaming or want to use your computer for lots of media or other stuff like that then I'd suggest the iMac. If you are going to be running around all over the place and want to bring your computer with you then the Macbook. They're both good machines, the iMac has better specs but you can't lug it around like a macbook.

4. davisac thread starter macrumors member

So it boils down to either will do the job fine then right? All I want to use them for is normal use (web browsing, writing papers, email etc), and maybe some light photo or video editing nothing major. Either will last me say 5 years though?

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Max out the ram (not from apple, buy the ram elsewhere) and get a nice external hard drive and yeah, will last you at least 4 years. (You may want to get the extended warranty but Apple is generally pretty good about fixing stuff even if it is technically outside of the warranty period.)

6. davisac thread starter macrumors member

OK so say since the Macbook is a little cheaper I could afford 4gb of memory. Would that be better than the iMac with only 2gb?

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

8. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

I am deciding between the exact same 2 as you but I already have a pc portable so I think you should go for the MacBook because a portable is really helpful for college and with what you mentioned doesn't look like there is anything you want to do a Macbook cannot.

Enjoy your first Mac both are amazin!

9. Mr$Whale macrumors member

Since you're on your way to college, the macbook would probably be the best option. Both should get you through college, but the macbook has much more portability which is prime when you're in college. During my first year of college, I thought I could study in my room but soon realized that wasn't happening due to all the distractions in the dorm :D so I needed to haul off to the library to write or research.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree completely. Plus its a lot easier getting the macbook to college compared to the iMac.

11. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I suggest buying the cheapest system for the next year, and then buy a new system part way into your first semester. I assert you don't know what sort of computer you will need or what your college habits will be yet.

If you will take notes during class on a laptop and study in the library, you want a laptop.

But if you're an engineering student, you'll need to take notes by hand. And if you're the student who studies in his room, you might prefer buying an iMac.

And if you find that all your work is done in a university computer lab, perhaps you just want an XBox to play games on, and don't need your own computer.

Moreover, for general use like writing reports and email, any computer today is likely to be fine for the next five years. I used a PIII Windows system for 9 years for grad school and personal use, only replacing it with a MBP last summer.

Finally, for the price of one high-end machine, you could buy a less expensive system today, and then buy a whole new system in three years.

12. SuperBrown macrumors member

I'd say Macbook. It'll save you a bit more space in your dorm room, you can lug it around to the library, and surf on the couch or on your bed while watching tv. Trust me, dorm rooms are not a place you can concentrate and do your work. Macbook's portability may save your sanity.

At 2GB of ram, you should have plenty, but it doesn't hurt to max that out or get as much as you can. Macbook's are designed to be durable, but Applecare is a nice thing to have just in case.

I'd say either a Macbook or iMac will definitely last you 5 years. Though I'm sure you'll probably get the itch to upgrade before then. :D

Good luck in school and enjoy your new mac!

13. SuperBrown macrumors member

P.S. Wait for a few months for Apple's back to school deals!

Forgot to mention! The past few years, Apple has had back to school deals around August I think. You can get a good deal on almost any mac plus an iPod. If you can wait a few months, it might be worth it.

14. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

If you care about iPods and want a new one for free, wait for the back to school special.

It sounds like a MacBook is what you're looking for. I personally prefer the iMac, and just bought one, but that's because I do a little bit of heavy video editing (HD video). MacBook couldn't cut it for me anymore (it just isn't designed to).

MacBook Pro is overkill for you for sure, but the iMac gives that added boost in power that will make it last longer into the future than a MacBook will. If you will basically leave the item stationary in one place, an iMac is a good idea.

Just one piece of advice. Get some knowledge about the situation with your dorm/apartment. Are break-ins frequent? Will your roommates leave the door unlocked, or get drunk and not realize that three dudes are walking out with your iMac?

I recommend laser engraving of your name and a more permanent address on the back of the machine, and also make sure that you lock it down using the security lock. Try to find a good lock that isn't some cheapie thing, and then run the thing inbetween or around some pipes in your dorm (something secure, not just around a table that can be lifted up then the cord slid under). It might even be worth looking into two different security systems together, such as the basic security lock + some other device or setup. Definitely make sure your name is on your system, though consider that it might make it difficult to sell in the future if that's a possibility for you.

Additionally, make sure it's placed in a good spot. If you put it in a general community-use spot in your dorm room (such as the "living room" or whatnot), when your roommates party, it could get scratched or knocked over. I let my roommates use my computer when I set it in the community space (my PC), and my mouse was never the same. No one fessed up to it, but they broke my $75 trackball mouse's right click button. It died completely less than a few years later, I believe due to complications from that first injury that were never properly healed. ... I still mourn the day, and I will never forget my faithful trackball mouse. ;)

15. SDLSteve macrumors 6502