Macbook or iMac, Highschool ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by .michael, Oct 19, 2008.

1. .michael macrumors regular

I think I have a pretty tough decision ahead of me, kind of. Opinions greatly appreciated!

I received an iMac last December, instead of gettting a notebook. I am a freshman in highschool, I really wanted the portablity, but my mom convinced me other wise.

But now I think I made the wrong choice. The highschool I go to I can take a laptop and use it in daily schoolwork. I cannot do that with my iMac (by the way, I got the 2.4 w/ 1 gig ram). I think I would benefit with the portablity for school... But here's my delema.

I'm sure the new Macbook, just the basic model, would be enough for me. I do the normal school work, web browsing, some gaming (very little), a little Photoshop, etc. I think I would be fine. I talked to a retailer at the Apple store, and he suggested I sell my iMac now, and take advantage of the money I would get. If I sold the iMac, say, in like August, I wouldn't be able to sell it for even half ($800) what it is worth now. Should I wait for the summer, get a job (as a 15 year old, don't know where I could even get one), or sell my iMac on a site like eBay or Amazon (which is better, I'm not sure) and buy the new Macbook. Another factor in all of this is the new technology. I would be really mad if they came out with new ones (completely) next year when I could have purchased one...

So what are your thoughts? Do you think the Macbook would be the best choice for a freshman-sophmore student right now? Or the iMac, which I already have, but that's not portable, which I can't take advantage of at school.....

:)

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Macbook is the best way to go. Its fine to have a desktop and a laptop, but if its one or the other its gotta be laptop first.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Unless you plan to to college don't worry about it. Do you even need a notebook in high school? Damn, I remember a long time ago when I went to high school most people didn't even bring pens and paper, never mind notebooks! A notebook for college/university would be the better choice though, if that helps.