MacBook or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simoncoul, Jun 18, 2007.

1. simoncoul macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first mac. I'm having a hard time trying to decided which one to get, the high-end white macbook or the low end 20inch iMac. When looking at the specs of the iMac and MacBook they seem pretty similar other then the iMac have dedicated graphics.

I've really owned desktops up to now but having my own laptop instead of borrowing my dads when I need it for projects at university would be good. The only problem is every laptop I've ever used is soo much slower to boot up and to launch programs then a desktop and was woundering if I would notice that with the macbook compared to the imac?

Thanks

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I doubt that a Macbook would be slower than an iMac with similar specs just because it's a laptop. I have a Macbook and it runs very smoothly, all I've done is upgraded RAM. I guess your question comes down to how important the portability is to you. I love being able to take my Macbook with me wherever I go, and having the option to hook it up to an external monitor and use it as a desktop.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have been back and forth so many times, I am going to buy a new macbook this will bemu 4th one...I had a imac and it was awesome but, i prefer to sit on my bed and have my macbook:)

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If its any help, the iMac is made from primarily laptop parts. Inside its almost the same as a MacBook (save for the video card). If you play modern games, the MacBook will be disappointing.

5. HMSAgincourt macrumors newbie

The performance of a macbook and an imac will be the same if all the specifications are identical. If you were to buy a macbook with 2.16 Ghz and install a 7200 RPM hard drive, the performance should be the same. The graphics are the most significant factor in performance. If you are going to use games, photoshop, or other intense programs; then you should get the imac. If you want the best performance; the imac can run up to 2.33 Ghz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HD, and 256MB VRAM. The macbook can be upgraded to 2.16 Ghz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HD, and 64MB VRAM; however, this would require almost $500 more than the base model. Unless portability is at a premium, the imac is the best choice. If graphics and HD size are not highly demanded, the macbook can be both cheaper and portable. I hope this helps.

6. simoncoul thread starter macrumors member

Yeah graphics are not a big concern to me, but will it be able to decode video well? What's the max it can do smoothly? I know the screen is small but could it still do like 720 or 1080p video?

Thanks for the help?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

1080p is fine on the MacBook. Its mostly CPU bound, not GPU.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The MBs don't have a resolution big enough to support 1080p. I think you could probably do 720, though.

As for iMac vs MacBook, I think it comes down to two things: portability and games. If games matter, you want the iMac. If portability matters, you want the MacBook.

9. simoncoul thread starter macrumors member

Well I think I'm gonna wait closer to the end of the summer, and hopefully the iMac will get an update if not then I will be getting macbook.

Thanks for the help everyone!

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not true.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/comparison_chart.html

1920X1200 is the max resolution. The only problem with 1080p is can the CPU keep delivering the goods? The C2Ds can but people have reported stuttering on some CD models.

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Wait? Are we talking about MacBooks or MacBook Pros?

The max resolution on the MacBooks is 1280x800....which is not 1080p capable. And the only MBP that's 1080p capable is the BTO 17"....

...and the OP mentioned a "high-end, white MacBook."

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My bad. I thought the OP was watching on an external.

13. bmoseley07 macrumors member

bmoseley07

You must have had laptops with lower configurations than your desktops because that doesn't make any sense. In this day and age, I wouldn't recommend anything but a laptop to anybody other than old folks who don't move around a lot, but especially for someone young like yourself, I can't imagine why you'd want to be tied down to one desk.

I just bought a MacBook and I love being able to move around the house and bring my work with me everywhere. Desktops are a thing of the past and really only valid for certain situations.

14. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The laptop shouldn't be any slower than the desktop, especially under normal circumstances. What applications are you planning to use? If it's just internet, ms word, ilife etc then the macbook would be more than enough.
    For me, i haven't used a desktop for the past 4 years and i absolutely love it. I hate being tied to a desk and love to take my laptop w/ me when i travel.