Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMac or MacBook? (Read post first!)

• iMac

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • MacBook

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I posted a MB Vs. MBP a while ago, and decided on the MB, but now I can't decide if I should get an MB or iMac...

>$1,300 MacBook
-13.3"
-2.16ghz
-120gb HD
-2gb Ram (will upgrade with 3rd party)

*or*

>$1,200 imac
-20"
-2.0ghz
-250gb HD
-2gb Ram (will upgrade with 3rd party)

The only reason I would get the MacBook, is if I wanted to take it places, but now that I think about that... I wont be taking it anywhere.
I would get the iMac because of the better video card, nice big screen, very nice sized hard-drive, and it's nice look... I just have a question:
Is 2.16ghz, noticeably faster than 2.0ghz? Enough to make me spend the extra $100?

Here is what I will be using the mac for:
-Surfing the Web
-Chatting
-iTunes
-Small Video Editing
-Amateur Photo Editing
-Games (depending on which mac I get)

please keep in mind, the $100 difference between the two macs, is huge for me, I currently only have $985, and I don't have a job, so I will have to wait until Christmas and my Birthday (12/25 and 1/7).
This will also be my first mac, and it will be replacing my desktop.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If you don't want portability go with the iMac.

The screen size is a huge difference between those 2: 13'' vs 20''

For what you are going to use it I'll go with the iMac due to the better video and bigger screen size, and more HDD. I do believe that the $100 difference is justified. Once you start using it you'll want so many media on it that you'll be frustrated with a small HDD.

I love my MacBook specially when I have to travel by plane and I can watch a nice Video and play with it instead of the boring airline entertainment.
The only thing that bugs me is its small screen for when I want to have 2 apps windows open at the same time.

I'm just waiting on Leopard to arrive, to get my new iMac 24", the MacBook will be used by my wife after that.

So your timing is pretty good to gather the extra money and get the one you want with the new Mac OS X!

You are doing the right thing, welcome to the Mac.:apple:
________
Suzuki GS500E

Last edited:

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
If you don't want portability go with the iMac.

The screen size is a huge difference between those 2: 13'' vs 20''

For what you are going to use it I'll go with the iMac due to the better video and bigger screen size, and more HDD. I do believe that the $100 difference is justified. Once you start using it you'll want so many media on it that you'll be frustrated with a small HDD.

I love my MacBook specially when I have to travel by plane and I can watch a nice Video and play with it instead of the boring airline entertainment.
The only thing that bugs me is its small screen for when I want to have 2 apps windows open at the same time.

I'm just waiting on Leopard to arrive, to get my new iMac 24", the MacBook will be used by my wife after that.

So your timing is pretty good to gather the extra money and get the one you want with the new Mac OS X!

You are doing the right thing, welcome to the Mac.:apple:

Thanks for your advice,
after thinking harder if I would be traveling with it... I did think of something, my grandparents are taking our family on a cruise (in Europe) so we gotta fly there.... and would be nice to have a macbook to play around with, but then, thats why I got my iPod vid... so yeah, I'll probably just get the iMac :D

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I have a few more questions:

1) Is .16ghz a big difference?? Like, 2.0ghz vs. 2.16ghz, is it noticeably slower? Or is it fine
2) How many memory\ram sticks can be in the iMac at one time??
3) Which would last me longer? The iMac or the MacBook?
4) If you have one of these, or both... which one do you like more?

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California

1) Is .16ghz a big difference?? Like, 2.0ghz vs. 2.16ghz, is it noticeably slower? Or is it fine
1. No, unless you're counting seconds on a photoshop filter.
2. 2 SO-DIMM sticks (up to 4GB)
3. My guess is the iMac, so long as you don't move it around much.
4. I was in the same boat as you a week ago, and I decided to get the iMac (which still hasn't shipped yet! :mad:). I wouldn't have picked the glossy screen, but I got more screen space, a bigger screen, a bigger hard drive, a video card, and a cool keyboard instead of portability. Where do you think my vote's going? :D

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
1. No, unless you're counting seconds on a photoshop filter.
2. 2 SO-DIMM sticks (up to 4GB)
3. My guess is the iMac, so long as you don't move it around much.
4. I was in the same boat as you a week ago, and I decided to get the iMac (which still hasn't shipped yet! :mad:). I wouldn't have picked the glossy screen, but I got more screen space, a bigger screen, a bigger hard drive, a video card, and a cool keyboard instead of portability. Where do you think my vote's going? :D

Thank you very much for your help :D
I started having second thoughts, then you posted... now im leaning back towards the iMac...
I am starting to think about buying a used powerbook... (as another option) to save some money for extras, but I doubt I will do that... but I am still thinkin, I still have 3-4 months until I can afford it.... Apple should give discounts to first time Mac users lol

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

I vote the iMac.

1. Fact is the processor won't be your biggest slowdown, the HDD and memory are. Both processors are equally powerful. The 2.16 has the higher clock speed but the 2.0 has the wider bus so i guess net performance would be the same

2. Two memory sticks can be in the iMac at one time and supports a capacity of up to 4GB (2x 2GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM)

3. Both machines would last just fine although the MacBook is more fragile as its more compact and gets moved around alot but it should still manage as it has a tough polycarbonate casing. The iMac stays still but still uses laptop components mostly, which are more fragile than desktops but build quality (aluminum casing and all) on these machines are well above average so no worries.

4. See first statement.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iMac. Cheaper, better graphics, much bigger screen (that will make a big difference in your daily enjoyment), and it sounds like you don't really need the portability that much.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
thanks again to everyone for your help...
The only places I would bring my MacBook would be around the house, which could get useful because it gets really hot in my room, but it might not be like this with an iMac... and if I want to bring it on a long trip for something to do, thats why I have an iPod, for movies and music... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.