Macbook or iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techguy172, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Ok, fellas I'm trying to decide between the iMac or the Macbook I'm torn between the two.

Here's what i'l be using the machines for: Adobe (photoshop, illustrator,indesign etc.) e-mail, itunes, coding, wordprosscessing, iLife.

Now I really like the iMac's sleek design but the macbook is portable convienent but the iMac also packs a big punch (ie. GPU). Both of theese computers would be upgraded to 4gbs of ram by me.

I'm looking at the middle 2.2ghz white Macbook and the 2.4ghz 24" iMac. I will be purchasing in about 1-2 month's.

Thanks in advance.

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the obvious question is.....do you really need your computer to be portable??? If so, then it's the Macbook for you. And if not, then go for the bigger screen (which you'll like with the adobe products) of the iMac

3. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

If i were to get the Macbook would I loose a lot of performace or would it be hard to tell the diffrence, and how bad is integrated graphics.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For Adobe, it's a negligible difference. For iLife, I think it may be a bigger difference. It's most notable in games and in video/image software that uses coreservices (Aperture, Pixelmator, etc).

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I went laptop a few years ago and will never sit at a desk again.

6. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, but what i don't get is apple loves all this eye candy but they don't put in the chips that can run it well. I want to keep this computer for atleast 3 years and if the hardware isn't great today then what will it be like in the future?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now isn't that being a bit neurotic? Leopard and iLife run fine on a Macbook. Some things will be notably better on an iMac. The difference in certain aspects of iLife is probably going to be noticeable, but it will be far from unusable. But no one is telling you to buy a Macbook to run, say, Aperture.

Like anyone else's notebooks, Apple's notebooks are subject to having a tighter margin of future protection than desktop by virtue of the form factor's engineering limitations. But before I sold my iBook last week, I found it quite usable for a wide variety of things, and it will be four years old in December.

8. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, I'm sorry i think i misunderstood you the first time i thought you meant that it would be jittery and hard to use. If it's minimal difference then I don't care so much.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I actually have to defer on iLife 08, as I've never used it -- but I'm suspecting iMovie is the one where you'll see a difference. My understanding is that generally, gamers aside, people don't end up complaining about the integrated graphics all that much. That is, people who actually own one, as opposed to people who are just on the forumz complaining. And you do have the benefit that SR just brought the Macbook a new integrated GPU.

10. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I was just doing a little research on the gma x3100 and it appears to make quite the difference by taking load of the CPU, The core clock seems to have doubled. and it supports direct X 10 meaning the card has been improved by quite a bit, although I do realize mac uses open GL.

11. emac82 macrumors 6502

If money is an issue, then buy a 20" and a low end MacBook.... :)

Best of both worlds..

But only buy a laptop if you want portability..Otherwise, iMac FTW!!

12. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I may get the macbook with 23" cinema display and have the best of both worlds. Hmm..

13. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

MBP would be a solid medium.

portability, larger screen, better gfx card.

yes?

or is there a reason you weren't considering it?

14. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I like the size of the macbook i already have a 15.4" and it's quite large.