Macbook or iMac...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Autokon, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Ok, I have a weird but very cool dilemma none the less... I'll keep it short and to the point. I have a Macbook Pro and a Windows PC. My Window's machine is rarely used and is on its way out the door, I use my Macbook Pro 98% of the time anyway. I also recently graduated with my B.S. in Information System Security..so my family has come together and offered to replace that computer for me..(so nice of them :D ). My question is this.. do I go with a iMac despite that I already have a powerful macbook pro with a dual screen config on a 24' screen... or go with a Macbook and have a more sub tier notebook for whatever. I generally dont take my Macbook pro out of the house, its my baby and my main machine. Thoughts? Advice?

Note I dont want them to spend a lot so I wouldnt go with the 24' iMac and I plan to help due to feeling guilty hehe.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do you need another computer could you get something totally different.

The iMac option seems a bit silly because you already have the power from the MBP and teh screen space as well so what would you be gaining.

The MB you give you a little more flexibility in regards to portability but this could easily be achieved with the MBP.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I'm thinking that something like an iPhone or iPod Touch would fill your void. Those would give you fantastic portability for information on the go....kind of like a PDA would be.

4. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

I've heard it from both angles quite honestly. Get the iMac to have the power and a desktop... I have that. Get a MB cause its a bit more portable and cheaper. Get an Air! Cause its cool!

I have an iPhone too btw =)

I hate to sound stuck up in this situation, I'm however trying to be rid of my PC and replace it with yet another Mac. I'd center my desk around that of my macbook pro being the main station. I move it around the house a lot at the moment so I'm a tad lazy to hook it up to the dual screen most of the time :p

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My son is in a similar situation as you are and is leaning towards the iMac. He's got a MBP and iPhone.

One more item of interest is the Mac Mini if you have a big TV. It's kind of nice to have with a wireless mouse & keyboard for using a Mac along with spectators.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I would suggest getting the iMac and using your MBP as your "portable". The iMac when maxed out with 4 GB is quite a powerful machine. I use my iMac as my main machine. When I'm away, I use my Macbook as a way to work and stay online. If I really need a file or need to use my machine at him, I simply use screen sharing to access my iMac. Very convenient and keeps everything accessable whether at home or away.

The two machines compliment each other as well. If one machine should lose data or break, the other machine fills the void.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

This is so true. If using it for work redundancy is extremely important. I always have two and have needed the backup machine more than a few times.

Presently a MBP and an Air are suiting my needs just fine.

8. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

If I go with an iMac.. I'd probably go with the $1499 model. Considering that, you'd still suugest that I go with that as opposed to a MB and leaving the MBP as my main home machine?

I could probably wing a 24' iMac or even an Air, but...I dunno. Luckily memory is cheap, I'd bump it up to 4GB in a heart beat.

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Well, it's really up to you. Since your MBP doesn't go anywhere, why not have a nice iMac for your home machine and use your MBP elsewhere. It seems like if you buy a MB, you are actually downgrading your total system.

10. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Get a Macbook Air, and use it along side your MBP!

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have a MBP and for a second computer, went with an iMac.

I was going to get the Macbook originally but wasn't happy with the screen quality. I saw the iMacs and I was speechless. I had never saw one before and the clarity and bright crisp colors on the screen blew me away! I was sold on the screen quality alone.

Why don't you go to the Apple store and make up your mind there. We can all give advice but you can't see what we are talking about. You can use anything in store and get a feel of what each computer will be like.

12. Autokon thread starter macrumors 6502

Autokon

Oh I have full contact with many of these machines... I order and play with quite a few for my job. I'm an IT so I end testing a bunch out and setting them up for users who arent fluent with Mac's and need a tad of training =)

I think I've decided on the iMac 20'.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Great choice! Upgrade the memory and you are all set.

14. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

well if you want a more portable computer that you don't mind getting a little "dirty" and you dont need a more powerful machine, i would go with the macbook.