MacBook or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Slothapotamus, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Slothapotamus macrumors member

Having finally got some money together I was going to build a new PC for myself. But I've now been toying with the idea of getting a Mac instead. My main reason for rejecting the PC is Vista. I bought it when it first came out and, after a week or so I upgraded back to XP. I've loved every version of Windows Microsoft have made (and I've been using it since version 2.1). However, as hard as I try I just can't like Vista.

I used a Mac a few years ago, mostly just fiddling around with it and I really loved it. I've always had it in the back of my mind to get my own. And now I have the money. I was pretty much set on getting a MacBook (white, 2.4GHz, 2 Gig RAM). But then I started looking at the iMac. Because of budget constraints I'd only be able to afford the lower end 2.0GHz, 20-inch model (128MB Video Card), but I should be able to afford an extra Gig of RAM.

I like the MacBook because it's cute and I can take it to work to fiddle about with. But on the other hand, the iMac has a dedicated graphics card which I can use to play EVE Online with. I'm pretty happy using my PC for games though. My main reason for wanting a Mac is to get into photography, video editing, watching DVDs and generally just discovering what else Macs can do (I've been lurking these forums for a week or so now so I have a fair idea what software is available for them). So, any ideas which I should go for?

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Well I normally would say get an iMac, because I've had both an iMac and Macbook, and liked the iMac better. But for your needs, I think a Macbook would be better, because you already have a desktop to do all your gaming on, so a nice Macbook on the side makes sense. Plus Some of your other games might even run on your Macbook (Not EVE, ran really crappily on my macbook).

Hope this help.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you want to use the Mac anywhere past your desk, get a Macbook. The portability, for me, is well worth it.

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

If portability isn't a big issue, go for the iMac. If you think you might like to carry your computer around then go for the MacBook.

5. Bucnawesome macrumors newbie

I'm going through the same thing, deciding is so hard! tomorrow I'm going to the apple store to see them both up close and I'll decide which I like better then.

6. Slothapotamus thread starter macrumors member

My nearest Apple store isn't for around 200 miles so I'll be buying from the internets. I've had a look at dozens of Youtube reviews though of both the MacBook and the iMac. Both seem good and I can't make up my mind just yet. Big screen and graphics vs portability. Ideally I'd like both :).

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Then do this.
    For now buy an iMac, use it as a your new powerful desktop, and in a few months or so, buy an Old USED iBook, Macbook, Power Mac, or Macbook Pro (Atleast a G4) from Ebay, then you will have the best of both worlds, and you wont regret anything one bit :D

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I was in almost the same situation as you. I have decided to save my money and buy the blackbook and then buy a 23" cinema display, keyboard and mouse and then you have both a beautiful desktop and nice laptop. Of course it will take me awhile to save that money but it will be worth cause you have the best of both worlds. Good luck making your decision!

9. 7031 macrumors 6502

Yeah. Definitely get a Macbook. I got an iMac, then got a Macbook Pro and haven't turned on my iMac since I got it :D.

Seriously, the portability alone outweighs every other reason.

10. bigfried macrumors newbie

I am in a similar position but I'm lucky enough to have been able to pop into a MAC Store and play. I was thinking I would get a macbook, and they are very nice but when I started playing around making adjustments to a sample image in iPhoto it seemed very slow to respond and I realised that I would get very frustrated with it for photo editing. Compared it with an imac and it flew. It had. So concluded that I must get something with a graphic card or I would eventually regret my decision. If you can stretch your budget I would seriously recommend the 24 inch over the 20, screen looks so much better and the size is AMAZING.

11. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Unless he needs graphics power, in which case the Macbook will be hopeless.