MacBook or iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LOAV, Aug 9, 2008.

1. LOAV macrumors newbie

I'm a college student looking to buy either a new MacBook or an iMac. Seeing as I'd like to get the MacBook with the superdrive, the price between the MB and IM would be just about the same.

The thing is, I already have a desktop that works fine. It's just a PowerMac G4, but it's running fine. I really just want to get a MacBook so that I can run Windows on it to do some music production with Fruity Loops. I already have tons of work on FL Studio done and on my external hard drive, so it would be simple to put it on the MacBook and start working again. I know the iMac can do the same, better I'm sure. But I'm also looking for portability.

It's kind of been a tough choice to make. I'm looking to buy one of the two sometime in October. Any suggestions?

2. ib4walrus macrumors regular

Since you already have a reliable desktop, I would get the Macbook as a portable. It seems like you have everything set up so that adding the laptop would be no problem. You're planning to get it in October when the supposed updates are going to be for Macbooks so you would have the latest specs and everything ;).

3. jroller macrumors regular

I agree with this comment. With the MB you will add portability and still be able to do all that you want. No reason not to based on your situation.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

5. kabunaru Guest

Wait until the MacBooks are updated, then buy the MacBook.