Macbook or iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aaquib, Nov 23, 2008.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

So I'm debating between the base aluminum Macbook 2.0 and the base iMac 2.4. They're roughly the same price. I was never considering an iMac till I realized that I probably won't really NEED a notebook.

Im currently a grade 11 student still in high school. I like the idea of having more power on the iMac, but I also like the portability of a notebook. I used to have a Mac mini, but sold it for a Macbook(2.16, 4GB, 320GB 7200RPM) and then sold the Macbook because I got too good of an offer to refuse. The Mac mini was OK, but I really enjoyed taking the MacBook around the house. I never really take it to school, but I may need to next year and in College as well. But for now, I don't need it, and that's the dilemma.

What do you think? I know iMac's should be getting a refresh in January, but I really can't go 2 months without a computer.

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

ermmmm i think it is all down to choice again. If you do want the portabilty that macbook is a fantastic choice, but if you could settle with just having it at home and on your desk then go for the iMacs

great machines though

Might be ideal if you want take it in for study at school or what not.

If you do get a imac and you need it now go for it, great machines anyway!

Good luck

ML

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You need to decide on portability or not. No one can really help with that kind of personal choice. Coming off the MB, try to remember what it was like being 100% tethered to a power cord. If that's what you're prepared for, the imac is fine.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I had the same choice when I got my MacBook three months ago, well, both are very nice machines. Personally, I thought I would really be making use of the MacBook's portability, but I didn't, and highly regret not going for the iMac. The current iMac is a great looking machine, and you get more for your money.

5. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I think you knew what you wanted already - posting this thread in the Macbook forum instead of the iMac forum.

You are right, the portability, even just around the house, is great. You are also right that when you go to colleage, you are more than likely going to need use to a laptop.

When you have more $ down the road, buy a big LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse to use your MB like an iMac.