Macbook or iMac...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xokimwhiteox, Feb 5, 2010.

1. xokimwhiteox macrumors member

I searched for a thread like this, but I didn't really find much. I'm going to buy a new computer next week, and im so confused on what to buy. I am either going to buy a Macbook or a 21.5 iMac. I love having a laptop because I don't have to be restricted to one room to use the computer, but I also like how the iMac looks and the keyboard and what not.

Any advice? :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Like with all "want to buy ..." threads, we need to know the use you put your new Mac to.

There are already lots of threads discussing the differences between those two machines, so I will not regurgitate the comments made there.

MRoogle is quite a good tool to search these forums.

3. xokimwhiteox thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for showing me that link, I found some related topics. :) I am a part of three other forums, and I know how annoying it can get when people don't utilize the search feature, sorry about that!

I'll pretty much be using it for internet browsing, facebook, myspace, working from home (data entry), and for my online classes.

4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

To me this seems like a pretty simple choice. Do you need/desire mobility in your system or not? Only you can really answer how important that is to you. But don't forget that if you opt for a laptop that you can move from room to room, you'll need to set up a wifi connection of some kind (assuming you don't run ethernet to everywhere you're going to use it).

5. xokimwhiteox thread starter macrumors member

I have a laptop already, so I have a router and all that, but I just didn't know if there are different perks between the two, or if one was better than the other.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Both Macs are made for different purposes, so while the one is better than the other in some aspects, the same can be applied for the other in relation to the one.

iMac: big ass display, more storage, more RAM, faster CPU
    MacBook: lighter and thinner, thus easier to move, HDD can be upgraded a lot easier, more robust

So in order for you to get to a decision, you need to prioritize and find what is important to you and see if that machine does fulfill your needs.

If you already have a laptop and don't mind living with a 2-system environment (Windows and Mac OS), get the iMac.

7. xokimwhiteox thread starter macrumors member

I think that an iMac would be good then if theres more ram, I play The Sims 3 a lot, so that would probably be better. Thanks. :) Also I think id like the bigger screen better, wish I could afford a 27"

8. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Don't forget you can easily hook a MacBook up to an external screen.

9. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Do You Have a Decent Smartphone?

If you have one of the newer smartphones that synchs your email, gets you online, etc. you may find that you would be using the phone a lot more than the laptop for basic tasks, so you could go ahead and enjoy the larger screen and more power you'd get with the iMac, and the portability tradeoff would be negligible. I went from desktop to laptop, and back to a desktop after I had my iPhone awhile, because most of the time I didn't feel like lugging the laptop around. If you don't need all the functionality of the laptop most of the day, the bigger hard drive on the iMac comes in handy. The 27" would be great, but don't feel bad about the 21.5" because that is still a nice sized display, and IMO a great value for the money.

10. Heldrup macrumors newbie

I was in the exact same position as you are in now.

I was standing between a new release of the MBP and the iMac i7.

I ended up choosing the iMac 27 inc i7 2.8 and i have not been in doubt since.

The display and power of this monster is simply brilliant.

You need to make up with your self what you need the computer for. If you have a laptop already wont that laptop fullfill your needs? If you have a smartphone (iphone) wont that together with your current laptop make up for what you need on the go. Then when you come home you can relax and enjoy a masterpiece og both design and usabillty an iMac is.

Hope this can help you.

11. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

I second this. Why not buy a new macbook from the refurb store (save some money by buying a refurbished model) and use the $$$ that you saved to purchase a nice 20 something inch external display and wireless keyboard and magic mouse? That's what I did after selling my iMac and it gives you the satisfaction of having the best of both worlds. :apple:

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This should be an easy decision.

If you want a portable Mac, get the MacBook. If you want a desktop, get the iMac. They're both fine machines.

If it were me and my money, I'd buy the iMac, if for no other reason than you say you already have a laptop.

13. SpokaneMac macrumors newbie

SpokaneMac

I bought a new MacBook and it was a PITA hooking it up to my KB and 19 monitor....... I have a PC laptop now. I spend most of my day at my desk home so after dealing with the MacBook connections I ordered a new iMac 21.5 ! :^)

14. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Looks like you really want the mobility to me, so I would consider the Macbook, it should do all your basic needs and play the sims 3 decently.

And it can double as a desktop also, plug it into a external monitor you're good to go.

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Where was the pain? The physical connection of the video adapter and the USB keyboard and mouse? Or where there compatibility issues?

16. kenobe23 macrumors member

I just went through a similar decision.

I bought a 13" macbook pro about 5 months ago. I bought a DVI connector from monoprice so that I can connect the MB to my 22" LCD. I also have bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I decided recently to sell the macbook and buy a desktop (debating iMac vs. linux system - that's another story.)

After living with the laptop + external monitor setup for a few months, I decided I'd much rather have a proper desktop with more storage and memory. Having the laptop on the desk was never fully satisfying. Maybe it's my particular KB and mouse, or the monitor I'm using, but the experience was not as good as using the laptop directly. Also, I've been finding that it's more convenient to do portable computing on my ipod touch anyway. Even though I had a macbook, I usually went for the ipod first for email, fb, and even browsing. Way more comfortable in most sitting positions.

I think I'll be happier with a dual monitor desktop setup (maybe imac + my Samsung) and the touch for portabie computing.

Good luck!