Macbook or Lenovo/IBM T60

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
102
0
I recently sold my old Powerbook 15 inch and now is time for me to shop for a new laptop. I currently have a desktop running windows and I plan to sell it so that I am left with only a portable solution.

I'm at university, but I am not required to have a laptop for attending classes. Next year I will be travelling and since I cannot live without a computer by my side I'll need something robust enough.

I really enjoyed my powerbook, but I must say it scratches easily and I always feel like its going to break everytime I move it around. The WOW! factor isn't really needed I just need something that'll work properly and that can survive a backpack and couple plane trips.

At this time, I am looking at 2 options.


1- The new Macbooks seem to have great specs and off course like any other mactel out there they run bootcamp. Running Windows is a must and altought boot camp is far from being 100% perfect. it looks like a great alternative to the old Virtual PC.
I'm interested in either White or black models carying the 2ghz Core duo chip.

2- My second option is an IBM/Lenovo T60.
Specs:
T2500(2GHz), 1GB RAM, 100GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1400x1050 LCD, 128MB ATI Radeon X1400, CDRW/DVDRW, 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth/Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro

Specs are fairly good and the price I get is really discounted.


I would use my laptop for small amounts of video and picture editing, web browsing, mail, etc.

I know the Macbooks are having a lot of manufacturing problems, especially with cooling. This is what pushed me away from getting one when they came out.

So here you have it, I am looking at 2 laptops:

Apple Macbook (white) (black model is 147$ more)
  • 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
  • 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
  • 100GB Serial ATA drive
  • SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
  • AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook/iBook - Auto-enroll
  • AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

Price 1845$Canadian (edu discount)

IBM/Lenovo
  • T2500(2GHz)
  • 1GB RAM (1x1024meg)
  • 100GB 5400rpm HD
  • 14.1in 1400x1050 LCD
  • 128MB ATI Radeon X1400
  • CDRW/DVDRW
  • 802.11abg wireless
  • Bluetooth/Modem
  • 1Gb Ethernet
  • UltraNav
  • Secure chip
  • Fingerprint reader
  • 6c Li-Ion batt
  • WinXP Pro

Price 1799$ Canadian (employee discount)

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks
 

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,241
1
Washington D.C
Some not Mac user advice

Did you like Mac OS X? If so stick with it, if not go Lenovo, might be a better bye.

Mac Users Advice

A computer is more about the software then hardware, since the MacBook's hardware is similar to the Lenovo laptop, the software will make the winning difference

Niether
Honestly hardware is less important then software IMO
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
The better laptop is the T60, both in terms of quality, ruggedness, and specs. Those Thinkpads are famous for being the best --- "tanks." Even Steve-o had a Thinkpad, and that was only like 6 years ago, when he was already working at Apple, and they had the PowerBook in the lineup

The MacBook happens to run OSX, and the BlackBook looks better than the white version (IMO) or T60.

If you have no trouble keeping your OS secure, and need to run WinXP, the Lenovo isn't a bad choice. But if OSX is important for you to have, then of course get the MacBook. It really depends on how important OSX is to you, though.
 

mwidjaya

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2004
24
82
Australia
How about getting the T60 and on-selling it to make some $ and then you can go all the way with Macbook Pro.

Honestly your comparison just shows that hardware prices for tier-1 manufacturers are about the same. Blows away the myth that Apple charge a massive premium.
 

Winstonp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2005
848
37
Boston
Get the IBM. Those computers are so sexy and so durable. I have an x41 tablet, great machine...



Winston
 

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
765
0
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Thinkpads are the best PC notebook you can buy basically. I used one at work for almost a year, and it looked like it was the predecessor to the model you're describing. Of course I had a Powerbook G4 at the same time, and when work was over, I was very happy to leave the frustrating and unstable land of Windows 2000 to the nice comfort of OSX. But then I went to a Dell Latitude in my next contract, and it basically stinks compared to the thinkpad. EVerything about it feels cheap.

Moral of the story: The Thinkpad is a great PC, but its still a PC. :D
 

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
356
0
Abstract said:
The better laptop is the T60, both in terms of quality, ruggedness, and specs. Those Thinkpads are famous for being the best --- "tanks." Even Steve-o had a Thinkpad, and that was only like 6 years ago, when he was already working at Apple, and they had the PowerBook in the lineup

The MacBook happens to run OSX, and the BlackBook looks better than the white version (IMO) or T60.

If you have no trouble keeping your OS secure, and need to run WinXP, the Lenovo isn't a bad choice. But if OSX is important for you to have, then of course get the MacBook. It really depends on how important OSX is to you, though.
Should say Jobs... I was thinking Steve-o from Jackass... I was like when did Steve-O work for apple hahaha... that would be funny
 

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
185
0
ThinkPad

Hardware-wise, the ThinkPad is the better computer hands down.

However, when the software factor is added in, then it will depend on which system will run your most important software.

You really can't go wrong with either.

Good luck.
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
I hope MB also has the card slot (for WAN card and others) like most of PC ultraportable notebook computers. Even my Dell X200 work PC has the card slot to use Sprint Card.
If I only consider the hardware as the main factor, I am leaning toward Lenovo. But, I cannot stand Windows XP as my computer for which I am going to pay. So, I will end up with a MB.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
And again, how much is OS X worth to you?


Oh, and you must be getting an incredible discount on that Lenovo T60. That puppy is normally very expensive......like, as expensive as a 15" MBP, or even 17" MBP if you configure the T60 right.
 

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1,218
31
tristan said:
Thinkpads are the best PC notebook you can buy basically. I used one at work for almost a year, and it looked like it was the predecessor to the model you're describing. Of course I had a Powerbook G4 at the same time, and when work was over, I was very happy to leave the frustrating and unstable land of Windows 2000 to the nice comfort of OSX. But then I went to a Dell Latitude in my next contract, and it basically stinks compared to the thinkpad. EVerything about it feels cheap.

Moral of the story: The Thinkpad is a great PC, but its still a PC. :D

The thinkpads you used were IBM. The thinkpads currently available are LENOVO. They might still be the best Windows only Laptops out there. But they arent the same any more. I have used a thinkpad for some time few years ago(not mine). And comparatively the overall build quality has degraded since LENOVO`s takeover. So dont expect them to be as good as the old ones.

And yes. I have to repeat this. The Thinkpad is a great PC, but its still a PC.
 

AntonicKnight

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
8
0
I’m kind of surprised by the general opinion that ThinkPads are more durable laptops than Apple MacBooks. However, this might be because the OP stresses so much the fact that he requires a laptop that can handle a little bit of rough use.
I was wondering how you would judge the durability and ruggedness MacBook Pro / PB design in comparison with the ThinkPad design. It was my understanding that MPBs/PBs have always been praised because of their solid, rugged enclosure. Or do they feel as if they’re not built for anything but sitting on a desk?
 

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
1,218
31
AntonicKnight said:
I’m kind of surprised by the general opinion that ThinkPads are more durable laptops than Apple MacBooks. However, this might be because the OP stresses so much the fact that he requires a laptop that can handle a little bit of rough use.
I was wondering how you would judge the durability and ruggedness MacBook Pro / PB design in comparison with the ThinkPad design. It was my understanding that MPBs/PBs have always been praised because of their solid, rugged enclosure. Or do they feel as if they’re not built for anything but sitting on a desk?
The Thinkpad(or any other PC laptop) is just a PC. And simply put is just Fugly. We people here just love our Macs(atleast me do). The MacBook is definitely a solid machine and can take a beating. But even the slightest hint of a scratch on it would feel like a blade running through my wrist to me:D :D . I never ever cared for my Compaq Laptop. I wud just throw it arround. But I dont even touch my MB(or in the past, the iBook) without washing my hands first:eek: .

Thats why these machines will always be so delicate, no matter how rugged/solid they actually are. I know my MB will survive a fall from two feet. But I`ll be dead if it ever falls from even 2 centimetres.:D

In any case the thinkpads are definitely more durable than any other laptop out there(including Apple`s). These machines are built like tanks. And may be that`s why they look as ugly as tanks:D