MacBook Or Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by intempo808, Mar 17, 2008.

1. intempo808 macrumors regular

Basically, I've wanted a Mac for about two years now. I don't honestly know why, apart from they're cool and fun to use.

Anyway, I just got a new desktop PC (ugh) which my dad got for ne because my old PC exploded.

In your opinion, should I buy a Mac Mini or a MacBook?

I'm a first time Mac buyer, I hate trackpads on laptops usually etc.

But the MacBook is so much better value. I mean you get a keyboard, mouse, monitor, iSight camera etc. Where as with a Mac Mini, you only get the base unit, but it is cheaper.

Anyone got any advice they can give to me about which one to buy?

Thanks.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I say get the MacBook. It has video output if you want a bigger monitor and you can expand the HDD and RAM yourself. The mini is a cool machine, but limited expansion and has a slower processor. MacBooks are really great.

3. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

If you can go for the MacBook, then do it. It is very portable and its configuration is faster than a Mac Mini. As you noted, it is worth its value. I love my MacBook and I can't stand being apart from it LOL

If you can't go for the MacBook, then just get the Mac Mini. It's a Mac and in my opinion is better than any PC.

It's all your choice. Do you need a portable computer since you already have a desktop or do you just want another desktop. You call it. :D

4. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

My vote is for a macbook. There is nothing like having a portable mac, the experience is second to none!

5. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

6. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Oooh, so it isnt just an expensive toy, its an experience... lol :p

I so excited about getting it. I think im just going to go for it ad save for a MacBook. I've got £196.54 at the moment in my savings account, but i have tonnes of money in this month. Roughly £100 on top of that figure.But after that its a slow, slow saving game... Yawn.

But anyway, Im mega excited and can't wait to buy it! They're meant to be AMAZING! Hope it lives up to its reputation. :p

Thanks for your help. :D

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yes, my vote also goes to the Mac Book.

Getting a "refurb" would get you up and running sooner ..:)

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

go MacBook... i mean if you can go for the Penryn-top-range Black macbook...

they are portable and good if you are a student to take to classes etc. not a machine i would be embarrassed whipping out in a coffee shop or at the tube station while waiting to get on the northern line.. however i use a macbook pro and i cannot express my love for it in words...

you will love the macbook, learning how to use leopard is simple and i dont think you will ever look at windows again.. applications are simple to install.

hopefully not anyway... i have a desktop which i use for downloading tv shows, movies etc on bittorrent... this is a 2.4 singlecore machine with xp, 512 ram, and a 160gb harddisk.. when it dies i will replace it with mac mini simply for workhorse... and better a mac workhorse then a windows one..

PS - i by absolutely no means whatsoever condone piracy - my use of bittorrent is to download episodes of seasons while the season is playing and once over i always buy the DVD box set... i simply use it as a season pass like somebody would do on iTunes...

9. viniciusc macrumors member

MacBook, definetely.
    Mac Mini is good, but you'll end up using your current PC accesorries which will not give you the same experience as the MacBook itself, and plus it's been updated twice since the last Mac Mini update.
    I had the same doubt as you, didn't have a lot of money so I end up buyind the entry-level model, and up to time I'm sure I did the right thing.

10. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

No problem, that's what macrumors forums are here for - and let us know when you have more questions and keep us posted on the mac experience!

11. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

The Mac Mini is by FAR the worst value piece of computer hardware on planet Earth right now, and problem with the MacBook is that you're going to have to spend £829 if you want to do something as simple as burn a DVD, it's a long way to £829 from £154.56. Apple don't do budget/cheap computers, if money is a big issue, are you sure you want a Mac?