MacBook or MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesdx, Jan 16, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

The minute the MacBook Air came out, I was sold. But, now I'm having second thoughts, because I realized I could get a MacBook for $600 cheaper, and have more processing power and a CD drive. However, I'm still having a hard time deciding. I like the MacBook Air's elegance, multi-touch trackpad, illuminating keyboard, and 2GB's of RAM, but I don't like the wimpy processor, lack of a CD drive, and lack of enough I/O. With the MacBook, there's everything to like, except the yellowing-prone white finish and extra bulk. I am starting to lean towards the MacBook, but the MacBook Air keeps on pulling me over with it's cool look and extra features. What do you think?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Since you already have an iMac you could be happy with a MacBook Air.

But if you want an optical drive built-in in a small package, you would have to resort to the rival Toshiba R500 or Sony TZ. Or buy Apple's external superdrive to be used with MacBook Air.

Otherwise there is always the best notebook in the planet.... the MacBook.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

for the price of the MBA (or very close to it) you can have a MB, with more Ram (4Gb), more cpu power, an optical drive, and a way bigger HD, firewire, 2 usb ports, i really really think that for an extra half an inch and so many other better things(cpu, HD, bla, bla, bla) MB is still way better pick that's just my opinion though it is true that having an iMac already makes a big different

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You are correct that the MacBook has superior processing power and hard drive space.

But you do have a powerful desktop machine to work with when you need the extra power... so I'd say if you can afford it and you don't care about the extra expense, go with the MBA. I have never actually used the SuperDrive in my MBP for anything other than to install software, and I never do that on the road anyway. Most of what I do on the road (e-mail, web surfing, Office apps, a little web design) can be more than performed by the MBA, and it weighs half as much as the other Apple notebooks.

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

For the tasks that the MacBook Air is designed for (word processing, Safari, email, etc.), I don't believe that you will find the 1.6 C2D with 2GB of RAM to be wimpy by any stretch of the imagination.

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

that is very true too. Even though i am always looking forward to getting a better, faster, stronger, more powerful computer, for the tasks i use it for, my macbook is completely overkill ahhahah...

8. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's true. I would mainly use a notebook for Safari, emails, Office, etc. I think I'll go with the Air. :)

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

my 2.2 /4g/120 is for sale;) still the air :)

10. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

do a search next time. there have been like 5 threads of this same question since yesterday... Anyways, get a macbook. More bang-for-your-buck

11. superspud macrumors regular

if it were going to be your only computer (like my macbook is) i'd say get the MB... but since you already have an imac i'd get the air... it wont be a computing beast by anymeans but it is pretty damn cool...

assuming you are willing to spend the extra $600 just for the cool points...

12. Selenolycus macrumors regular

If you have a lot of disposable income get the MBA. If you are more frugal get a MB.

You already have an iPod Touch. If you didn't, I'd suggest getting that as a portable companion system.