Macbook or Macbook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davesmith99, Jun 10, 2010.

1. davesmith99 macrumors newbie

Im looking at getting an apple notebook, for university, to repalce my current windows notebook. Due to price my only options are the macbook, or the lower spec 13" macbook pro, I am finding it hard to see any major differences between the two, except for the extra RAM. It will only be used for word processing, internet, music, films and so on. Whould the macbook be okay for me, or should I be looking at getting the pro?

Also I am a little confused as to how the education discount works, do I have to log on at college to buy it? And as my college does foundation degrees, does this mean I can use the link for universitys?

Thanks in advance
    David

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

If you can't see the difference, I am baffled how you can even use a computer.

The biggest difference is the casing. The body of the pro is made of very durable aluminum, where the regular is made of polycarbonate which scratches and does not withstand as well. Overall, both are good computers, but if you need durability I highly recommend the pro. I am not saying that the regular macbook is not durable, it just isn't as durable. Another thing is that the Macbook Pro 13 inch has a better screen than the regular. The regular macbook's screen has a very noticeable blue tint to it when seen side by side next to the pro 13 inch. The current notebook probably has a blue tint as well so you may not notice the difference unless seen side by side.

If you can spare the extra money, go for the pro, but both will do everything you need.

Also, some college bookstores have them at the bookstores themselves, but you can also order them from apples website or your school's bookstore website.

3. revbarabbas macrumors regular

If you go into the Apple Store all you have to do is show them your student ID...don't really know how it works on the web but I'm sure it's equally as easy.

4. Damnitshane1 macrumors newbie

I completely agree about the white Macbooks being easily scratched. My friend's macbook is just a week old and is already covered in scratches.

5. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

Either one will be great. I agree you might want to check your college bookstore for a deal.

6. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

The backlit keyboard on the Pro makes a huge difference.

7. dplxy macrumors regular

8. dplxy macrumors regular

you can also buy it from the college bookstore if they have "apple store" in it

9. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Bought two of the Macbooks (13") back in 2008 and both ran into the same problems. The edges of the plastic casing (around the screen and keyboard) flake off. Known issue. Both batteries ended up bloating (expanding battery - known issue). Had to buy replacement batteries for them.

Other than those two problems, no other issues. Bought the 2010 13" Macbook Pro and extremly happy with it. Having the new graphics card, backlit keyboard and what looks like a hi def display were worth it (not to mention the 320gig hardrive.)

Comparing the displays between the 08 Macbook and 2010 MacBook Pro was like night and day. Very big diff.

If you have the cash get the Pro.

10. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

+1

11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

The difference between the two are largely cosmetics. One looks better than the other in my opinion. But the regular macbook will be more than enough.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

avoid cheap plastic products, go with the pro!

Notice :apple: trend to change all its designs towards robust metal + glass instead of the cheap plastic products that always get cracks.

mroogle about macbook case cracks and convinve yourself if you still have doubts.

13. BigBrocktoon macrumors newbie

Don't forget FW 800! it makes backups etc. a breeze!

14. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Remember that while the quality of the MacBook screen may not be quite as good as the MacBook Pro, it is less reflective which is a huge benefit in itself. In terms of power and design, the MacBook Pro is clearly better. Personally, I find reflections give me headaches if I'm staring at the screen for hours on end, so in the 13-inch range I'd personally go to the MacBook or MacBook Air.

15. davesmith99 thread starter macrumors newbie