MacBook or MacBook Pro? Advice please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bknight629, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bknight629 macrumors newbie

Basically, after doing my research on the matter, I've narrowed down my selection to two choices:

1) MacBook, 2.26 GHz, 250 GB hard-drive, 4GB RAM - £843.65

2) MacBook Pro, 2.26 GHz, 160 GB hard-drive, 4GB RAM - £938.83

Firstly, is the difference in the price justified? From what I can see, the MBP offers an SD slot, backlit keyboard, and a more sturdy design. I also think it looks a bit cooler. However, it has 90GB less HD space.

Secondly, I'm buying this laptop with the future in mind - I plan to run programs like Indesign or QuarkXpress on it. Is 4GB RAM sufficient, or will I be able to make do on 2GB?

Please feel free to leave your comments about any aspect of my dilemma - any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I suggest waiting until after the event on Wednesday. There is a large belief that there will be a notebook update. I personally believe that the 13" MacBook Pro will receive a small update to help make the decision for users in your situation easier.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

1. Get the Macbook Pro. The features you mention are worth the price. Once you have Firewire slot, SD, backlit keyboard, and the sturdy aluminum design, you'll never go back.

2. For programs like Quark and inDesign, get 4 GB ram, no question. Buy the RAM from a reputable aftermarket seller. Don't pay Apple's inflated RAM prices.

3. Harddrive - you can replace the harddrives on the Macbook Pros. It's very easy, the instruction booklet that comes with the Pro even gives you a step-by-step guide for replacing the harddrive. Search the forums, there are tons of posts concerning good replacement drives that are larger and faster (if you need it).

4. bknight629 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses, guys - both very helpful.

5. caravanpikey macrumors newbie

I had to make the same decision as you about 2 months ago. I chose the MBP 13" 2.26 GHz 4 GB RAM. In my opinion the MBP is well worth the extra money, I in no way regret my decision. As running the apps you talk about, I run adobe creative suite without a problem, on top of the various native osx apps I keep running at all times.

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

MBP all the way! You need the dedicated graphics card, given your needs.

Enjoy your new Mac,

Habitus :apple:

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Let us not forget higher resale value for the MBP.

8. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

you're going to want the macbook pro.. but as the previous posters have said just go with the standard 2gb of ram and then just buy 4gb cheaper online and install it yourself

9. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Why on earth are you being charged around £20 more than Apple's current UK prices?
    Where are you buying from?

10. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Do you want good WiFi reception? Then get the MacBook. Do you want the absolute worst WiFi reception in the entire laptop industry? Then get the MacBook Pro.

11. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Damn, why people cant underline there statements?! Why does the MBP have worse WiFi than MB? I use my MBP in university and at home only with WiFi connection to the internet. It works just fine. It locates networks from ground floor while i am living 4th floor. I think thats good enough!

12. koolrosh macrumors newbie

koolrosh

side by side, my 5 yr old Dell Inspiron has a better WiFi then an 09 MBP. thats just sad

13. bknight629 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm buying directly from the Apple website - the prices I listed above are with a student discount, but also with the upgraded memory.

Re: the poor Wi-Fi issue - is this a well-known problem with MBPs?

14. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

The graphics card in the MB and the MBP are exactly the same, and neither are dedicated. They both have the 9400M.

Because the aluminum casing has been shown to block Wifi reception. The plastic casing allows for better Wifi. Just because you think "that's good enough", doesn't mean his statement is wrong.

15. canes960 macrumors 6502

I was in the same sort of predicament. I would say wait till new releases. Then go for the Macbook Pro

16. Colton534 macrumors member

What??? do the two use completely different wireless cards?
    Why would this (seemingly Dramatic) difference be caused?

17. Colton534 macrumors member

Here Here. same with mine, works great for me. other guy must've gotten a dud or something.

18. Colton534 macrumors member

Don't listen to him. my MBP works GREAT form 3 floors away from the router (excellent connection) This is the first complaint i've heard about it.

BUT, that being said, i would still wait till next week like "thegoldenmackid" said. New MBP's and better deals on the current ones.

19. Jelite macrumors 6502a

You can get 4gb ram from elsewhere for £70-£80 but like others have suggested wait until after next weeks event.

20. bsolomonny macrumors regular

My experience with wireless connection comparing my c2d MBP and CD black book was that the black book had the best wifi i have ever scene while the mbp was just ok. I use to be in a classroom where i was the only notebook to be able to find a signal. There are numerous posts about this. Definitely not a deal breaker just a FYI.