MacBook or MacBook Pro Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snapper64, Mar 22, 2008.

1. snapper64 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at the apple refurb store and have found a couple of MacBook Pros (one with a glossy screen and one without) which are within my budget. I really need some advice.

I can either:

a) Purchase a new MacBook White 2.4Ghz with upgrade to 250GB hard drive for £835.43 (with education discount)

b) Purchase a new MacBook Black 2.4Ghz for £891.83 (with education discount)

c) Purchase a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz C2D with 2GB ram and 120GB hard drive for £929.00

What do you think, which is the best option? I realise the MacBook Pro would be really useful for even light gaming due to the dedicated graphics memory, but that isn't a major concern. The backlit keyboard and low power led screen really appeal though. My only concern is that it is older hardware and likely to depreciate in value a bit quicker as its now out of date. Will the MBP have the new penryn processors ? I assume it won't have the mutli-touch track pad :(

What is the RAM limit on the MBP, is it 2GB or 4GB?

Also, if I decided to go pro should I have a glossy or matte screen ?

Thanks,

Charlie

2. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

are you at university? the HE store I'm on shows the blackbook for £816, such a great deal!

PS both support 4GB RAM

3. snapper64 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm only at college (in the UK), presumably you get an even better discount at uni :)

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, if you want the backlit keyboard and display, you really have no option; you should get the MBP. Both take 4 gigs RAM and should be able to take 8 gigs.

5. 3247 macrumors regular

Don't be concerned. The largest drop in value occurs when you open the package for a brand-new piece of hardware. The next drop happens when the next version is released. All of this has already happened to the refurbished MacBook Pro, so you should not expect any dramatic loss in value. You should expect them with a new MacBook, though.
    2.2 GHz is the model released in June 2007. It won't have the Penryn processors (but they don't have an advantage, anyway) and the MultiTouch track pad.
    However, the new MacBooks don't have MultiTouch, either.
    Matte! :eek: Unless you want to use it as a mirror.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

The largest discount is via the Apple Store for Higher Education - although universities make up the bulk of institutions that this scheme applies to, there are a few other ones (e.g. certain drama colleges, FE colleges and 6th Form colleges).

Although it's more likely that your college isn't part of Apple's HE agreement, it's worth checking, as in addition to saving money, you get a three-year parts & labour warranty free (which is also very cheap to upgrade to full Applecare).

7. snapper64 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I reckon im gonna visit PC World and have a play on both. If I really like the look of the pro it I will order it, I can always upgrade the hard drive at a later date.