Macbook or Macbook Pro CAN'T DECIDE! !

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by branharrison6, Apr 4, 2007.

1. branharrison6 macrumors member

Ok here is the situation so that all you mac "gods" and people who just like to help confused others like me, can help me out.

I am a 10th grade student in High School and am going to do one of the most exciting things I've done EVER this summer and go ahead and make the switch to MACS!! I've heard lots of good things from teachers, and other students of the Mac brand and have done all the research I needed to do to convince me into making the switch. Now all I need to do is decide WHICH MODEL TO GET! ! ! I cannot decide between the Macbook or it's bigger brother the macbook pro. Here is my current situation, hope this is enough info to give you all I good idea as to what I should go with.

$$$ is not a BIG issue but I would prefer the Macbook to save some $$, I will pay for the MBP if you people convince me other wise though

-Use Notebook For:
    -Music (iTunes)
    -Photos
    -Internet
    -World of Warcraft (heard this plays well even on a macbook)
    -Want Portablilty because I currently have a 17" dell notebook and it is great for gaming but just TOOO big for normal everyday travel, carrying, or just walking around with, plus batter life SUCKS!

What do you guys/girls think? Anyone have any ideas?? Suggestions on EXACTLY what to get would be GREAT too, as far as RAM, Processor Speed, etc. Thanks!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you have the dosh, the MBP 2.33/2GB/256MB/120GB is a fantastic machine, and the MB can't touch it, though the MB is so much cheaper, and will handle most day to day tasks with alacrity.

3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

If you cannot decide then why not look at the other 50+ threads on the same subject before choosing to make another thread on the same subject.

Really, this is getting beyond boring now.

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I would say if your getting a macbook up the ram and possibly the hard drive because you'll be playing intense games...if your going MBP...go for the 2.16ghz low end one with 2 gigs of ram and a possibly bigger hard drive

5. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I'm the last one to refuse giving and refuting my opinion, but there really aaaare a lot of threads and guides about MB vs MBP already and what you get for the ~25% higher price. I'll never buy consumer-level again unless they really shake things up--it's worth it to me to have 50 niceties and a sturdier, faster, higher-value, higher-profile, more beautiful machine for $500 more. When you carry and use something EVERY DAY for 2 years, you'll regret not getting something so trivially more expensive for a better experience.

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

:mad: If they are so boring, why do you read them and post in them? Clicking on a thread is optional you know. How does it make any difference to you if there are a few threads with similar questions. They are not being forced upon you so just stay out of them if you don't care about them. :mad:

Back on topic, I am trying to make a similar decision myself.
    Either a Black MacBook 2.0GHz with 2GB RAM and a 160GB hard drive at £1189
    Or a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM and a 120GB hard drive at £1429

I know a MacBook would be powerful enough for me, but I want whatever laptop i get to last at least 2 years, maybe 3, so more power is welcome.

But, of course, all of this will be changed soon when the MacBook and MacBook Pro are updated to Santa Rosa processors, and hopefully higher resolution LED backlit screens. Now that would be amazing. Maybe the MacBook will even get it's own graphics chip. If it does that means i would have no reason to think about the MacBook Pro. Oh well, we will see.

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

You should check this guide and it will help you decide.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Get the Black 2.16 MacBook with 2GB RAM and enjoy it. For your uses it will do great. It should handle gaming well enough. It's a nice machine. Decent Price. $$ may not be the overriding issue, but you're in 10th grade and not doing any serious high end video editing or animation, so you don't need a MBP. Don't spend the extra money on something you won't get the most out of. The MB will hold value. If you still desire a MBP, sell your MP when you graduate in 2 years and upgrade.

9. cayley macrumors member

Tried WoW on my friend's macbook. I wouldn't say it runs well -- it is playable, as long as you don't mind some jerkiness in places like IF.

10. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

The highest processor speed the black MacBook has right now is 2.0Ghz not 2.16Ghz.

11. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I'm almost 100% certain that the highest processor speed is 2.0ghz C2D for the Black Macbook. (looks like someone beat me to it)

You should definitely stick to the black macbook.

Really though, there are dozens of threads with this exact subject... And a pretty awesome buyers guide here as well.

12. robPOD macrumors 6502

I just got a macbook and am really pleased with it, it freakin awesome

13. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

i'm going to be getting a white mb....a speckz case from amazon.com, applecare, parallels, FCE, and the misho arm rest thing, and a keyboard protector for $1500 or less....not a bad deal IMO....i'd get a macbook....by the time you go to college someone will give you enough money OR buy you a new computer most likely anyway.

unless you're taking university classes you'd be wasting your money...wait until you get to college to go big

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Seriously, there are more than enough of these kinds of threads.

You answered it yourself: you dont do an excessive amount of 3d applications (you said WoW runs well on macbooks) and you use your computer for general purpose computing. A macbook fits all of that.

that said, please no more threads like this one.

15. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Its more than just entering a thread and posting a comment, its coming to the boards and EVERYDAY there are the same topics being posted, nobody does a search, everybody thinks they are unique with their dilemma and insist upon a new thread.

This place is getting boring because of its repetitive nature, however it seems the majority of people on these boards are fine with it and are happy to talk about the same stuff continually over and over again.

If enough people complain, I would hope lurkers might not register simply to ask these common questions and just look on the boards instead. We are only talking about laptops here after all, not life or death decisions.

Whatever happened to independent thinking.

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I say you want a Macbook.

I would say any school student would want a macbook, because school students don't need to do crazy 3D CAD or Matlab at School. If you need the extra power, use the money you save between the bottom Macbook and the 2.33 MBP and buy yourself a nice iMac for home. Plenty of power for games or anything else you like doing.

I would make a generalisation and say that unless you're a uni student, there's no point going for a MBP.

And yeah, maybe Arn should arrange something so people have to lurk for a certain amount of time, or prove that they have searched the forums for similar problems before they can register and post. Or maybe a prominent "FAQ" section on the front page?

17. imMAColata macrumors member

And you're obviously very bored since you have time and interest to enter those boring threads and spew forth your bile. If the place is so boring, feel free to leave us alone then. Don't tell us what is fun or what is not. We decide that each of ourselves.

As for what to get: I'd say the Macbook. The Pro is hideously overpriced and its ugly as well. The Macbook is within the "portable" range - though the MBP has about the same weight really. So go for what size you like most and how much money you want to spend. Yes, MB plays WOW but if you're coming from a 17" with a dedicated VGA you will be disappointed I think.

18. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I think a good solution would be a sticky 'MacBook or MacBook Pro thread in which everyone with this problem can post their own scenario and people can answer their questions there. I wouldn't know how to set that up though, but does that seem reasonable to you guys?

19. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

But then you've only been here since last September so go figure.

20. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

That's me. I could talk about MBP's all and every day, at least until I get my Santa Rosa MB/P (see sig)!

I agree that if you don't like the thread, leave it alone. Eventually someone like me will come along and give a meaningful and helpful post to answer the OP's question.