Macbook or Macbook Pro... Can't Decide!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've posted about this before, but now that I finally have the option to buy, i can't decide between a Macbook for $1068 or the Pro for $1680... Both have the same processor and Ram, which is all I'm concerned with. My only other concern is the screen size, and I'm not sure if the Macbook will be good enough. I'm the farthest from a professional when it comes to computers. I played with the macbook at the Apple store, and it was fine, but I don't know if it will be for long term use (1hr+). I will use iMovie and iPhoto, but thats about it for the editing. I will take anybody's advice, and I'm sick of having this dilemma. I just want my mac! :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the price difference isn't a major issue, I'd go with the MBP. It's possible that after buying the MacBook, you'd be wishing you had the MBP in a few months, but I can't imagine the reverse being true. I don't know of anyone with a MacBook Pro who wishes they had gotten a MacBook.

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, my budget is sort of an issue... The lower the better, so if I could get away with a macbook it would be great. But, I don't want something that's too small.

4. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

if money is no issue then just go for the macbook pro mainly because its got a bigger screen, although if you do plan on miving the actual laptop around places, then you will be better buying the macbook because it has a smaller screen and therefor lighter

5. R-41157 macrumors member

if you can justify the price jump for an extra 2inches of screen then go for the MBP becuase as you say the spec is the same! BUT we all know there is probs gonna be some kinda revision in the next couple months which might make the macbook an even better machine if they add a LCD! so maybe wait it out a little?? I have been waiting since febuary and it is driving me insane! Good luck!:D

6. K-Funk macrumors member

Unless you're just rolling in dough, I'd get the MacBook. Seriously, is it worth an extra $600 to get a bigger screen? Especially considering that Apple is the only computer company I know of for which the 15-inch models are more expensive than the 13-inch?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have doubts about the MacBook suiting your needs now, before you buy it, you're more likely to regret the purchase in the future. If you stretch to get what you really want, the pain of the purchase price fades quickly and you're left with something you're happy with for a lot longer.

8. K-Funk macrumors member

But if he gets the cheaper computer now, he can afford to get a new one sooner. For example, a new MacBook every 2 years costs the same as a new MacBook Pro every 3 years.

9. asme macrumors regular

If budget is an issue, buy a refurb 2.4ghz MBP, either Penryn or Merom, doesn't really matter too much.

Keep your pennies by finding a refurb retailer that doesn't do sales tax.

10. K-Funk macrumors member

Posts like these make me chuckle at what a deviously brilliant marketing scheme Apple has. Apple could easily make a 15-inch MacBook that costs the same or less than the 13-inch, but instead they get people to shell out hundreds of dollars to upgrade to the MBP just to get a 15-inch screen.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

and a much better video card with much better screen resolution, that's worth at least 200-300 bucks more.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The MacBook is fine for just about everyone. The only people who need to buy the Pro are those who need the extra features it has, that is the dedicated graphics card and the larger screen.

The people that this applies to in my opinion are creative professionals like video editors or graphic designers or people who want to regularly play 3D games.

If you can give us more detail on what you intend to do then we can make a better decision for you, but from the sounds of your post (iPhoto and iMovie), MacBook will be absolutely fine. Spending the extra money on the Pro will be a waste.

13. K-Funk macrumors member

Yeah, but the original poster stated that the only difference he cared about was screen size.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No, the specs are not the same.

Firewire
    ExpressCard -> external RAID storage
    Dedicated video card

By the way, as with any product, there will always be updates to the line in the future.

You can get refurb at a discount (same warranty). Go to apple.com and look for special deals.

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I went from a MacBook Pro to a MacBook the day that MacBook was released. I wanted a replacement for my iBook G4 but at the time I ordered, MacBook wasn't around. When the Pro arrived it was much bigger than I anticipated and I was lucky that the MacBook came out when it did. I returned the Pro and got the MacBook.

In my opinion the MacBook is much better designed than the Pro. It's impossible for me to convey just how much better the keyboard is, but testament to its awesomeness is that Apple replaced its desktop keyboards with versions based on the one in the MacBook. The case is also much more compact and it's nice having the optical drive on the side rather than the front. Unlike the Pro the MacBook also has no moving exterior parts, whereas the Pro has a latch which can snag or break. The power adapter for the MacBook is more compact and the speakers are hidden away in a much nicer position too.

16. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

I agree 100%.

The Macbook sounds like it will be MORE than capable of both fulfilling all your requirements whilst still amply delivering you all the wonder, beauty and general greatness of OSX and Apple hardware.

17. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Though I can't agree with this.

The MBP keyboard is great - the low profile backlit curvy keys are almost, dare I say it, sensual. ( I have a MAcbook and a MBP btw)
    The case on the MBP is MASSIVELY superior being aluminium - it also doesn't cut your wrist like the sharp edge of the Macbook does...also doesn't 'dirty' like the white Macbook does.
    Front loading/side loading - non issue for me.
    compact ? size difference is negligible for the incredible gains in having an LED 15" screen - perceptible weight is about the same...
    Latch - MBP latch has NO protuding latch hooks like, say, PC laptops (they are recessed into the screen) and so there is nothing to snag of break. Don't see this as a problem. Latch is cool imo - the 'action' on the recessed release button on the front is lovely...plus it's got a glowing white led to tell you it's sleeping rather than powered down.
    Power adapter ? did they used to be different ? same now..
    Speaker on the MBP are better and being on the main body facing up deliver better sound, and significantly superior stereo seperation - also look cool and hide the ambient light sensors that auto dims the screen and brings up the backlit keyboard when it get's dark.

Can't think of a SINGLE way in which the Macbook is better than the macbook Pro - but that doesn't take anything away from the MAcbook - it's a great mac at an affordable price...

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're comparing the MacBook to the MacBook Pro, don't forget the MBP has a Firewire 800 port, which makes a BIG difference in using an external hard drive. Also, the MBP has the 200GB, 7200RPM drive option, another speed boost, as well as 256MB or 512MB of video RAM vs 144MB for the MB. And while your mileage may vary, the 15" MBP's battery is a 60-watt-hour battery, good for 5 hrs, vs a 55-watt-hour battery on the MacBook, good for 4.5 hours.

So it's more than just 2 inches of screen and higher resolution in a great looking package that's only -.08 inch x .32 inch x .68 inch bigger and only 6.5 ounces heavier, with a backlit keyboard.

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You'll struggle to find any external hard drives with FireWire 400 support, let alone 800.
    The MacBook hard drive can be replaced extremely easily if required.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No struggle at all! This one, which is plugged into my MBP, is one of many available:

200GB, 7200RPM (same specs as the MBP hard drive)
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MS8U7200GB16/

21. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

As I said, you'll struggle to find an external hard drive with FireWire 800. You can go out and buy a new one, yes, but if you've got an existing one it's unlikely it will have it. This example provided by ggjstudios seems to be available in the USA only from a very unknown, untrusted company. I'd avoid it.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OWC has been supplying the Mac world since about the time you were born, and is extremely well known and respected. They also ship all over the world, not just the USA. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't make them "unknown" or "untrusted" and to label them as such with no facts to back up your claim is irresponsible.

My point about Firewire 800 was not referring to just any hard drive someone happened to have lying around. The point is that with the MacBook Pro, you have the ability to connect an external hard drive at Firewire 800 speeds, which is not an option with the MacBook. Higher speed means much faster backups or large file transfers between computers, which saves time.

You may not have heard of LaCie, Maxtor or Iomega either, but all are well-known brands that offer Firewire 800 external drives:

http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10033

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&oi=product_result&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&oi=product_result&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=3

23. bbbensen macrumors 6502

The MacBook has an LCD. Can you imagine one with a CRT?!

Your thinking of the LED backlighting. :p

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'll send you the bill for the import tax when the drive finally arrives then :rolleyes:.

Of course I've heard of the brands you mention but I think we've gone completely off-topic here. The original poster wants a computer for iPhoto and iMovie. Recommending a MacBook Pro is completely ridiculous and is only encouraging them to waste their money on something which they do not need.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The poster asked for recommendations. As you can see from reading the thread, there are varying opinions and pros and cons of both choices, and several factors to consider. Labeling someone else's opinion as "ridiculous" or companies as "unknown" or "untrusted" is not professional or appropriate behavior for this forum. A little more factual information and a little less judgement would be helpful.