macbook or macbook pro for architect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dolly lamma, Jan 29, 2008.

1. dolly lamma macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a laptop that will get me through my last year of grad school in architecture. I'll need to use 3d modeling, acad, adobe creative software etc.

Do I really need a macbook pro or can I get away with a macbook (and maybe an additional monitor)? I bring my laptop between the studio and home offices and otherwise travel with it, so size is somewhat important to me. The screen resolution and graphics card are better in the macbook pro, but I'm trying to determine how much that would impact me. I care about making nice renderings from my 3d models and having a fast computer but any improvement would be better than the dinosaur toshiba I'm working on now.

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Archeticture! That's what I hope to go into in college.

Ok.....
    I would go with the MBP. 3D Modeling software, CAD software, and adobe software usually uses quite a bit of processing power and ram. Also for 3D the graphics are better and would look nicer. You might be able to get away with a maxed out MB, but I would stay with the MBP.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

4. Nuks macrumors 6502a

I'm applying to architecture school soon, and if I get in I'm thinking about upgrading from my macbook to a macbook pro. For 3D stuff the macbook just isn't that great.

Even if you get a MBP, I'd still try and get an external monitor. I got a 22" for around $220, and having that much more screen space has been great so far.

EDIT:
    Check out this thread, there's some good discussion that may help you out: Click Here

Make sure you read the whole thing and not just the original post.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MacBook Pro. You can always get refurb version.