Macbook or Macbook Pro for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingshrubb, Jul 6, 2008.

1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

I'm entering college for music performance (Eastman School of Music part of University of Rochester) on August 25th. I'll be doing a lot of:

• homework (writing music with Finale and stuff)
    • listening to music on iTunes
    • multitasking / browsing internet
    • gaming (I really only play Blizzard games like WoW, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo)

Which notebook do you think I should buy? I was leaning towards the MBP because a 13" screen seems extremely tiny.:confused:

Thx :D

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The macbook's screen size is really not a problem unless you're working in Aperture, or some other photo app where you need a big matte display.

I think you'd do fine with a macbook, but if you can afford the Pro you might as well get it as it'll be a little more future proof.

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Gaming stinks on a MacBook and if you want those games to look good, get the MacBook Pro.

I wish I got the MacBook Pro over the MacBook, but just because of gaming. Everything else, the MacBook is just as good as a MacBook Pro. In some cases, like the power to portability ratio, it exceeds it.

4. mBurns macrumors 6502

I'd get the MacBook Pro if you're planning on gaming.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is a subject that has been discussed repeatedly in dozens of threads in the forums. You'll get faster response if, before starting a new repetitive thread, you'll first search the forums to see what has already been discussed. If you bookmark this link and use it, you'll find all the information you're looking for. Good luck! :)

6. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

as i told someone in another post, you're better off getting a refurb pro. the price is reasonable and you get your dedicated graphics card. you just don't get the free ipod and printer

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Don't waste your money on a MBP. Get almost nothing for all the extra money.

If you want a big screen, well get an external 24" monitor. If you want to
    play games get a PS3.

8. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

If you want more screen space and a more solid nicer lookign laptop, get the pro, its not that much if you're planning on keeping it for all of college which is reasonable right now I'd say.

9. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I think the Macbook is an incredibly solid machine, however, the lack of a non-integrated graphics card makes it hard for me to recommend. If you ever anticipate doing more graphics-oriented things with your computer in the future, your options are severely crippled with the Macbook. I think you'd be better of with a slightly older, refurbished Macbook Pro (you'll most likely receive silents upgrades) then a brand new Macbook.

10. illidian macrumors 6502

The MacBook will handle all the needs you listed there more than adequately.

Especially with running music programs, no matter what machine you're running, you want 4GB of RAM. While this option is available from Apple, it's far cheaper to get it somewhere else.

11. kalex macrumors 65816

For games - MBP for anything else that you listed Macbook would be fine. Upgrade RAM to 4GB and they both will be running sold. If you are going to be carrying your laptop with you to classes, macbook would be better because of its smaller size and little of weight savings.