Macbook or Macbook Pro for my small business...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mddharma, Jun 18, 2007.

1. mddharma macrumors regular

I have read the forums extensively but I am still a tad confused. I need a laptop that I can take with me when I leave work. I run ACT database for my business and it runs in Windows XP on parrellels currently on my imac. It would be nice if I could leave work and have this database with me. The laptop will be my primary machine. Also I will network this laptop in OSX and windows while at work. Now I do not game, most of my work is light, I do design work for my business in InDesign and some light illustrator, photoshop and web design in Freeway Pro. I was leaning towards a Macbook Pro, but cost is a factor, and I am not sure I want a 15". Now I do want to hook up this laptop to an external monitor (20") when I work. I am wondering how well a macbook will handle the monitor. Will the fans come on all the time like my 12" powerbook use to do if I go with a macbook. Right now I think my main concern is using the laptop quietly with the monitors. Anyone have any advice?:confused:

2. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

Personally, it sounds like you might need a Macbook over a Macbook Pro.
    I based this on what you said -

• You said you wern't too keen on having a 15'
    • Gaming isn't a factor
    • You wanted it quiet
    • You want to use an external monitor (Macbooks will work fine with this)
    • Macbooks are also fine with Parallels

Hope this has helped :) Feel free to ask any more questions if you need.

3. bigiffo macrumors member

The external monitor of 20" should be fine, however it will find larger sizes difficult. It can't manage more than 23".

4. mddharma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback so far. Will the fan run if I am using a the 20" monitor while I am netwoking in parrells? I guess I am wondering if this will overtax it.

5. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

Nah - that shouldn't be a problem at all. I think the fans are a rarity with Macbooks these days. Using the monitor would not cause them to come on, and I highly doubt that Parallels will do it either. Anybody with more experience in this area could possibly tell you more about it :)

Still, I can just imagine the set up you're getting :p Windows one screen OS X the other :D (the kind of set up I'm getting for Uni)

Good luck with it :)

6. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I agree that a MB woud meet your needs best. My fans only come on when I am crunching huge Photoshop or Video files. I plug my machine into a 19" dell monitor and it gets slightly warmer on the left side of the keyboard but doesn't trigger any fan action. My MB does all I request of it for video and photo work (and I actually do some fairly heavy work).

Oh yes, I run parallels too with no problem.

7. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

hmmph thts kinda weird.. my fans come on whenever i watch a youtube or google video or even cnet tv... almost any video on the internet brings up my fans.. thats just my personal experience..
    sry to hijack your thread( i dnt want to)
    but in all seriousness to your topic... i think the mid range macbook with 2gb ram would suit you well(unles you want the black one)

8. starlabs macrumors member

A MacBook should do you just fine - just make sure you get 2GB of RAM.