Macbook or Macbook Pro for video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larasatiyumiko, Jun 16, 2014.

1. larasatiyumiko, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

larasatiyumiko macrumors newbie

I got a Macbook for Christmas, and was slightly disappointed it wasn't an Alienware. My mom got it for me because its suppose to be the best for video editing and stuff, and because I can't play the game I want to on it, Enemy Territory (or virtually the same game, Enemy Territory Quake Wars... she has a problem with games)[​IMG]

Anyway I am sad she really bought it because I can't play that game on it... but, is it possible to play games on a macbook, or only macbook pro?

anyway, Since itw as bought because I will be getting into video editing, is it a good deal? because from what I see, macbook pro is what you need for video editing (and final cut studio)

Any reassurances that Macbooks are better then alienwares or pcs and proof added is good too, hah!

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Which Macbook is it? What spec is it running?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Build quality is much better, the alienware.

Depending which MBP model your mother purchased, dictates whether you can play some games or a lo of games.

While I can understand you may be disappointed in that you didn't get the exact model you wanted, she went out of her way to spend a lot of money to get you a laptop. I'd remember that, otherwise if you really want an alienware computer you certainly can go buy one yourself.

4. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

The 'MacBook' was discontinued a few years ago. So what you could have is a MacBook Air? Unless it was a used MacBook. Is it white or silver?

You could install Windows via Boot Camp and see if the game runs on it.

5. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Maybe he means MacBook Air? Either way if I got a Mac for christmas I'd be jumping through the roof.

At any rate, I suppose the 15" MacBook Pro would be best at gaming since it has the Iris Pro and dGPU options, but in general Macs are not meant to be hardcore gaming devices.

That doesn't mean you can't game on a MacBook Air or 13" Pro. You just won't be able to max the graphics settings out and expect a solid 60fps+ framerate.

I personally do all my gaming on my PS4 and Xbox 360, but as an ex-pc gamer myself I know that's not the most ideal setup for every situation.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If my Mother bought anything that cost in the thousands I'd be dumbfounded and blown away.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Macbooks are the best notebooks imo. Except for gaming.
    I hate to play killjoy, but i have to agree with your mother. Video games are a complete waste of time.
    Even worse than writing forum posts :p
    When I was young we left the house and ran around all day.
    Keeps you in good shape for the rest of your life.
    When you get older there is plenty more time for couch warmer activities.

You might be able to play your game by installing windows via bootcamp!
    Just tell us the specs of your macbook.

Today I contemplated about buying my mother a mba, but I dont think she could use it.
    She has never used a computer in her life. :)

8. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

What kind of video are you expecting to play with? That is what we need to know. If you are talking about plain vanilla HD with one or two channel audio then any macbook will suffice. I've used MacBooks from the 2005 era with AVCHD video and basic audio with no problems. Mind you this is straight NL editing and not heavy duty graphics production.

9. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I'm going to assume from the context of your post that you're a bit younger than someone out of college and looking to do professional work.

Yes, you can edit video on your machine. Something faster would be ideal but what you've got will almost certainly work.

If you get to the point where you NEED something faster due to your editing needs, you can probably either make some money to upgrade or at worst present a really good case for getting a new machine to someone who can help fund it.

10. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

She might prefer a 15" Pro for Call of Duty lol

Barney

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

she definitly needs dedicated gpu and 16gb ram :D ... to learn how to use google :D