MacBook or MacBook Pro - For Wife

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ghsNick, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Hi Everyone!

My wife has an old MacBook Pro (mid 2010) and I want to surprise her for her birthday with a new computer.

She needs 512gb of storage, so I'm looking at the m5 version (1.2ghz) and I can get it out the door for $1,444 at Best Buy (they have it on sale + college coupon).

I know the new MBP is coming out next month but I'm not sure which one I should go with.

I think she'll like the portability of the MacBook and she really just uses it to browse the web, watch videos, edit documents and listen to music. The only negative is the screen size is 1.3 inches smaller.

I know (technically) the MBP is a better machine but with 512gb of storage needed and everything else (how she'll use it) I think the MacBook is the better option for her.

Will she notice a difference between the 2016 MacBook (m5) and the 2010 MacBook Pro(base model/regular hard drive)?

Thoughts?

2. Tenashus1, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2016 ---
    If it's not going to be used heavily for photo/video editing and the like, the MB is a great computer with a beautiful screen. Got one for my wife, and she loves how light it is, and she has no issues with the keyboard. Nice, big trackpad too. It has been perfect.

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

so we should figure she currently has the 13"? that would be a core 2 duo system. the new MacBook is definitely as an improvement on that. and even with the smaller screen, it will still display more information than what she currently has. if your other consideration is the 13" MacBook Pro, that has a better processor but they are both using integrated graphics and shared memory to drive a retina screen.

if connectivity is not an issue (the lack of), the MacBook is probably the better choice (unless she ends up hating the keyboard).

to make myself clear, I'm not a fan of the 13" MacBook Pro. within the line, there is nothing Pro about it and is crippled in so many ways. Apple used to have separate high end and budget series laptops. now they have three somewhat overlapping lines (separated mostly by style) with better and worse performing options in each.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd go with the MacBook. I went from the 13" rMBP to the 12" rMB and haven't looked back.

5. silicapacks macrumors newbie

I'd say go for the MB. I went from the 17 inch to the 12 and the screen resolution really helped adjust to the smaller screen. Plus my lady loves it and she has the air. Plus plus, it comes in rose gold.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The light weight and slimness of the MacBook can't be beat! I have the 13" rMBP and now it feels so heavy in comparison to my light little rMB. If your wife isn't doing a lot of heavy-duty things on a computer and doesn't need a bunch of ports for plugging in peripherals and external drives all at the same time, she should be just fine with a lovely little rMB.

7. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Going from a 2010 model, with a regular hard drive, to the Macbook with the super fast SSD, oh yeah she will notice a huge increase in speed. Even the m3 model will be faster in strictly CPU performance, but since you require the 512GB drive the m5 will be a nice bonus. I just bought the base m3 model myself, totally loving it!

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oh, absolutely, the rMB runs circles around even a 2012 iMac with a "spinner"/"platter" hard drive! The SSD makes ALL the difference......

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

She loved it! Supper happy with my decision.

She was freaked out at how small it was (her guesses of what was in the box was wrong) and it was a good BDay.

Thanks for the help everyone!

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

All smiles here as I type on my own rMB..... It really is a delightful machine and I know your wife will be very happy with it for a long time to come! So what color did you get for her? :)

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Got her the gold. She was in between gold and rose gold (but got a gold iPhone last year) so I got her the matching MacBook. You never know, I may want to use it when she's not and I wasn't in love with the rose gold haha ;)

12. RegularGuy09 macrumors member

Just curious why did you move from the rMBP?I'm guessing it wasnt the performance?

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Size.

14. RegularGuy09 macrumors member

Which one do you have ?M3/m5/m7? Does it have UI lag I heard is persistent with retina Macbook?

15. KPOM macrumors G5

m5. No UI lag that I can tell.

16. RegularGuy09 macrumors member

Thanks.

17. Cristim74 macrumors member

Cristim74

Go for the MB m5/m7. I bought the same machine for my wife for her birthday and she loves it.
    Look for any special deals the stores might have.
    I was going to get the m5/512, but for 20$ less I got a m7/512 that was just opened by a customer and refused + the Apple digital adapter. I couldn't refuse such a good deal :)