MacBook or Macbook Pro? Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smcgil9899, Jun 17, 2008.

1. smcgil9899 macrumors member

I'm currently deciding which to buy. I'm looking at the Black Macbook or the low end Macbook Pro. I will be using the computer for internet, school work, Photoshop, video editing (light). Which one should I get? I get the education discount. The MB is $1399.99 and the MBP is $1799.99. Thanks

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook. It has all the power of the Pro but it is less bulky and benefits from a much better design.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The macbook has no where near the power of the Pro...

The pro has a graphics card which wouldn't be a big deal as none of the things the OP listed are very graphics intensive.

EDIT: Adobe has announced that the next version of photoshop will live on top of the graphics card, so it may be very beneficial of the OP to get a macbook Pro.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Ignoring the gpu, the MacBook really is just the same computer as the Pro. Same processor, same RAM, same hard disk etc.

Spending the extra money for a GPU which won't help out now and possibly won't help much when CS4 comes anyway would be stupid in my opinion.

5. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Agreed that the blackbook basically IS the same laptop as the low end MBP disregarding the graphics card (not going into little things like backlight and multitouch). Seriously, I'd get the midline whitebook (2.4/2gb/160gb) and put your savings into a desktop machine that has a better graphics et al.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

MBP, it has higher res, bigger screen, looks better, runs cooler, quieter

7. bcooke macrumors newbie

I started with a Blackbook but it had major wireless issues. Apple decided to replace it and at that time I upgraded to the low end Macbook Pro. Just in the few hours that I have used the pro (it just came in today) I really like the pro. The multitouch is very nice and really speeds up some of my basic functions. If your budget will allow it, my vote is for the pro.

8. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

In the UK the Macbook Pro is nearly TWICE the price of a white Macbook (black macbook being hardly different enough to warrant comparative analysis). This is why you'll find UK people urging you towards a Macbook. Here the price performance issue is a much more sensitive issue.

However, in the US - by your figures it appears the MBP is just $400 more than the Macbook your considering - that makes it an ABSOLUTE no brainer for everyone as far as I'm concerned. Even just for the Nvidia card.

It's just vastly superior in so many ways it's not even worth debating about for $400.

I can guarantee if the MBP was $1800 (£900 vs £900 UK price for Black MB!!) they'd be selling bucket loads of them and the UK people in here would not be nearly as pro-active in recommending the Macbook over the MBP when people ask.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Disagree, my MB runs very cool, looks better and is way less expensive. I contend 85% of MBP buyers don't need the
    separate GPU and the MB is on a practical level just as fast.

10. kabunaru Guest

Get the MacBook. :)
    MacBook is almost the same thing as the Pro.
    Only big difference is the graphics card.