Macbook or Macbook PRO-HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sportsfan1234, Jul 28, 2010.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I primarily use my computer for music, email, facebook, and poker. I am just very sick of my computer taking forever to boot up, connect to web sites, and just be slow all together. I want an extremely fast computer in all areas with lots of memory. All of my sources have recommended Mac. Now the questions is which one. The Macbook Pro I am looking at now is listed below; it is roughly $3000 which is very expensive. Please tell me if you think this is what I need or if you could recommend something else.

15’’ i7 Macbook Pro

2.66GHz Intel Core i7 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide Accessory kit ( Will purchase MacOffice from another site)

(I am aware of an overheating issue with the i7, is there a cooling pad or anything I can buy for it ?)

All feedback is greatly appreciated

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any MacBook Pro is fine for you. What screen size do you want? If you want it to be fast, get SSD as the HD is the biggest bottleneck nowadays. It will speed up booting and app launching, making it more responsive.

3. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

The slow internet connection isn't the computers fault, unless you have set up some serious security to slow everything down. Sounds more like you ISP or router.

As for speed, any computer will speed up 10 fold with an SSD installed. Unless you just have money to burn and need to have a 15" i7 for what ever reason, you're wasting your cash.

Also, most games are designed for WIndows and even under Bootcamp, you may not be completely happy.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Fo your need the 13" MacBook and the 13" MacBook Pro more than suffice.
    You don't need 8GB of RAM for doing what you do, a C2D will more than suffice, or at leas the i5.

What you have configured is overkill for your needs, but if you have the money and don't have a problem spending it, buy that screaming MotherBook.

PS: One thread per issue suffices, and the Mac Pro forum has nothing to do with MacBook Pros.

5. Ravich macrumors 6502a

What are you currently using? I highly doubt there is any reason whatsoever for you to get an i7 MBP.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I primarily use my computer for music, email, facebook, and poker.

I suspect the base 15" will do all this and more. My 13" base model does Photoshop and plugins with no problems at all