MacBook or MacBook Pro? (Portability)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamescwarren, Mar 22, 2009.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi. I'm buying a new MacBook on Tuesday but just can't decide whether or not to get the MacBook or the Pro. I know what specs I want so that's not a problem. It's just that I'm not sure whether moving up to a 15" from my current 13" MacBook will be a big disadvantage regarding portability. Could anyone who has gone from a MacBook to a Pro or someone who uses their Pro and takes it with them a lot please let me know on how they feel?

Is the MacBook Pro really that much bigger than the MacBook?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not just look at the specs on Apple.com? It tells you dimensions and weight.

Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Get the MacBook Pro. Has a better quality screen for a start, and isn't that much bigger ;)

4. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone else have anything to say :)?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Which is more important to you, speed or portability? If you prefer portability, stick with the MacBook. If you prefer speed or screen space, get a MacBook Pro.

This isn't something we can tell you.

6. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

A bit of both. I just want to know whether the MacBook Pro is easily portable or not.

7. scan macrumors 6502

I went from a 12" Powerbook to a 15" Macbook Pro. The difference in weight are negligible to me, but the bigger screen and speed are very noticeable. I'm very happy with my Macbook Pro. Absolutely love it.

8. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I have a 15'' MBP. Im in college, and carry it around quite often and isnt a problem. You should look more deeply about what specs you need, and your price range, rather than size. The size difference between the two isnt that big. If price is no issue, I'd say go for the Pro

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I upgraded from a 12" iBook to a white MacBook and last December I upgraded to 15" MBP.

I find the 15" really easy to transport in the right bag. I had a side bag for my MB, but after a while it got tiring, stressing only one shoulder.
    After that I upgraded to a rucksack, and I sometimes wonder if my MBP is in there.

So if you have the cash, don't mind wearing a proper bag, get the MBP. It's the better value. You can always go back later.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The question you should really ask yourself is which you need more, power or portability. Weight wise, there is not an awful lot between them. However, while there is a difference between the MB and MBP, to my mind the real difference in weight between them is with the 17" MBP. My advice is to go for the 15" MBP. However, if you want a computer that has power, performance and a terrific screen, go for the MBP; despite the stunning appearance of the new MB, the MBP is still a far better computer. I have one and it is a terrific computer.

Cheers and good luck