macbook or macbook pro? pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rodami, Sep 17, 2008.

1. rodami macrumors newbie

So, besides the graphics card and such, what are the main differences between the 2, is it better to get a macbook pro? or a high end macbook?
    I know new ones are supposedly coming out soon, so I'll wait. Personally, I'm leaning over to the macbook pro side, because of the graphics card, but if you think regular macbook is better, please explain, thanks..

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The MacBook Pro has a dedicated graphics card and is ideal for people who do more than simple games and graphic design that's beyond Lightroom and Photoshop.

It also has metal casing and a 1.7 inch larger screen. On a down site, it gets hotter than the MacBook during regular use, and also has worse wifi reception.

Well, if you believe that is worth $1000 extra, go for the Pro. Otherwise, the MacBook will fill your needs.

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Apple.com is a great site. I suggest you go there and they will break it down for you. Then choose which one best suits your needs.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've always gone for the plastic laptops because of durability. If you're going to travel with it on a daily basis and don't need the graphics card, do the MacBook. The metal on the MacBook Pros dents fairly easily in those kinds of situations where you're using it on planes and trains. Sudden stop? Dents if it hits the seat in front of you. Believe me, I've seen this firsthand.

However, if it's basically going to be a desktop replacement with minimal travel, go Pro. They're very fast machines and the graphics card does make a difference. I notice it between my new BlackBook and my friend's last generation MacBook Pro. No contest- his is faster and handles graphics far better.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Don't forget the backlit keyboard, multitouch trackpad, louder speakers (at least from my memory), and the extra ports on it (FW 800, expresscard 32 slot, etc).

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah thanks! Good points.

7. jableskg macrumors regular

Right now i'm in the same boat.. My plan is to sell this Dell laptop that i bought less than 2 years ago, and get a Macbook..

Im totally sold on Mac's simply by using Safari for Windows, iPods, iPhones, and playing around with friends Mac computers.. I also love going to the Apple store.

Price has always been an issue but i'm now willing to spend. Would i be better off waiting for new ones to come out? Or should i get one now?

8. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Is screen size an issue for you?

I do a lot of graphics and photography so for me the MB would have been slightly too small.

You can always plug in an external though if you don't do work on the go.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It's not just screen size that differentiates the MBP from the MB, it's the actual quality of the screen itself. Apart from the obvious differences between them - power, performance, graphics card - the real reason for choosing the MBP over the MB is the superb screen. It's also pretty portable, but so is the MB.
    Cheers

10. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

matte vs glossy
    15.4 or 17 vs 13.3
    dedicated gpu vs discrete
    aluminum vs plastic
    led vs ccfl

if you do anything that requires 3d hardware acceleration get a macbook pro. Photoshop does not require 3d hardware acceleration so either would do.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

There is not a substantial difference in power and performance (take away intense graphics based stuff of course) between the Macbook Pro and Macbook when you add 4 GB of RAM to the Macbook for $40 on most things. I wouldn't call the MBP's screen superb. Better than the MB, yes, but not superb considering what it should be for the price paid.

Honestly I have had the Pro and I can't see the 700-1000 difference in price between the 2 laptops. Doesn't make sense to me. I know some have to get the Pro b/c of the graphics card and screen size, but it isn't worth the difference in price. The Pro should be a whole, whole lot more for that price difference and it isn't.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd still argue that the screen is a good bit better in the MBP than the MB, certainly for a notebook, it's one of the better screens available. However, I see hofaninga's point about both power and performance, and indeed, differences in cost, but a refurb MBP can reduce the price difference between them considerably.
    Cheers