MacBook or MacBook Pro Purchase???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jarhead247, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Jarhead247 macrumors newbie

We just purchased my wife a MacBook Pro 13" (baseline model) over the weekend and LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!! We are long time PC users/owners and finally made the switch. My wife is going to use it mostly for photo editing for scrapbooking, web surfing and some word processing.

My PC laptop is on its last legs and I am going to buy a Mac to replace it. My question is should I buy the $799 MacBook from Microcenter or buy a MacBook Pro ($1,199) similar to my wife's?

I plan on using it for the following:
    1) Genealogy (Reunion software and photo/document storage)
    2) web surfing
    3) iTunes
    4) some word processing

Any guidance, advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Based on what you plan on using it for, I think a regular White unibody Macbook would suit your needs just fine.

That being said, I would certainly upgrade the RAM from the 2GB to 4GB. Even for simple applications the boost in RAM is noticeable.

3. rk1991 macrumors regular

Normally I would tell you to get the white unibody because it is a great deal but now that the new macbook pros came out today i would recommend the baseline model for $1200. It has a faster processor, better graphics, 4gb ram, and 250GH hard drive. Don't forget that you get the aluminum outer shell and an sd card slot with the macbook pro.

4. Audrey313 macrumors member

If you had to guess...

Is a back lit keyboard on a future updated Macbook a remote possibility or will this just be a difference between the MB and MBP for awhile?