MacBook or MacBook Pro...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Two Pistols, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Two Pistols macrumors member

I have the money for either one... but was wondering if it is worth it to spend that extra money. Please put your input, especially if you bought a mac book and wish you got a pro

2. SESpy macrumors regular

SESpy

spend the extra money! Get a Pro! I have both, the 2009 late and the Pro and the polycarbonate isn't worth it. I have some pretty nasty case problems with it. Go for the Pro man, please ( i am begging you :D )!

3. xriderx11 macrumors regular

lmao! excactly, he wanted to get responses from macbook people and macbook pro people....

OK! if you play games and using it for school and doing projects on it, i would say macbook pro.... if you use internet like facebook or aim or skype or oovoo and etc..... get the macbook...

4. Two Pistols thread starter macrumors member

well i would use it for college, like powerpoints and whatnot, also i didnt mention, i bought a gateway laptop like 5 months ago that works great, on the desk, but only has 2 hour bat life

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

What do you need? What do you want? No one here can decide this for you. If you want some suggestions and input, you'll have to provide more info.

What will you use this computer for?
    Why kinds of software will you be running?
    When considering the MBP, are you only looking at the 13", or are the 15" and 17" models also on your radar?
    Is your budget fixed, flexible, or unlimited?

6. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Another one of these threads? For the thousandth time, you have to say what you are gonna use the laptop for!

7. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

get the pro, aluminum case, sd card slot, and its just so shiny

8. BalistiKEvo macrumors newbie

Go for the PRO, if your gonna spend the money. Don't buy the "hoopty" Macbook. I love my pro. Also, it is such an attention getter. The pro is just a great looking and way more powerful machine in my opinion. But, I also have only had my Pro for about a week now and it is my first Mac. So my opinion will be very biased being that I have yet to even use a regular MacBook.

Just my .02 Cents!

Let us know what you end up getting!

9. mbisson macrumors member

I would go for a MB Pro if I was choosing between the two with case construction being a key consideration. Much prefer the aluminium.

10. landscapeman macrumors regular

11. thecarrot macrumors member

Honestly I'd go with the regular MacBook. It's nearly 5 years out of date!, It looks horrible compared to the new ones! and is actually lower in quality than most dell PCs? Having said all that, you could also go with the pro. Its tough. Deal with it. Make your choice, move on. Don't be asking us. Google it if nothing else. OK?

12. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

the screen on the white MB is better, in the way the it isn't as glossy due to the lack of glass.

13. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Both have the exact same specs so saying one is more powerful than the other is ridiculous.

14. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I'd go for the MacBook Pro. If you want a higher specced machine than the MacBook they are better. They are also robust if you ever dropped a MacBook it has a more likely chance of becoming damaged. The MacBook Pro is made of aluminium if you ever did drop it it would more likely survive a fall.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

pro. just looks nicer overall. better build quality.

16. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

I have experience with both and support both. The macbook feels a little cheaper but honestly its just as good of a computer. Question is what are you going to use it for?

17. JustsomedudeIRL macrumors member

I just recently purchased the white Macbook. I absolutely love it. It is perfect for basic college needs, and if that is all you need it for, I'd definitely recommend it over the Macbook Pro for a few reasons.

1. The $150 you save (if you use the education discount) can go towards other things such as a backpack, sleeve, mouse, iWork, etc.

2. While the glass panel on the Macbook Pro screen looks super nice, it becomes an annoyance if you are sitting outside on campus during a sunny day or in the library by a window.

3. This is a silly reason, but everyone and their cousin has the aluminum unibody Macbook Pro on campus. Even though the white Macbook is "inferior", it is nice to have something a little more unique.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Unique and far less functionality. :p

If we're talking about $150 going towards the same computer with a nominally faster CPU that won't show significant benefits then it would make sense to save that cash and use it towards extra ram or a better hard drive. To each his own but for the extra $150 the Macbook Pro is just a better machine all the way around and will serve future needs a lot more than the white Macbook. The white Macbook is better suited for kids or very basic users.

19. JustsomedudeIRL macrumors member

How so? They are essentially the exact same machine. The only added hardware performance is an extra 2GB of RAM in the Macbook Pro, which you can upgrade yourself (for cheaper) in the Macbook. Every extra feature the Macbook Pro offers is moot, because each one seems nearly irrelevant to the majority of people who use computers.

- 2GB of RAM is more than sufficient for everyday multitasking like listening to music, web browsing, and writing e-mails and papers.

- Firewire may be X times faster than USB 2.0, but it is going the way of the dinosaur. Many firewire based devices are also more expensive than their USB 2.0 counterpart.

- The SD card reader is good for people who are camera happy, but once again most cameras offer USB 2.0 connection.

- The battery indicator light on the side is pretty much comparable to cars with underbody light kits.

- Having a backlit keyboard is good for people who don't know where keys on a keyboard are located i.e. less than basic typists.

- The glass screen is absolutely gorgeous in optimal conditions, but in most conditions it becomes a nuisance (why do you think Apple offers an antiglare option for the higher end/larger models?).

- It is very debatable, much more so than the other features, whether the aluminum unibody is superior. You can list many pros and cons for aluminum and polycarbonate regarding strength and durability, heat dissipation, radio wave signal disturbance, proneness to cosmetic damages, etc. As far as I can tell it comes down to visual and tactile preference.

I'm not saying the Macbook Pro is a terrible machine, far from that in fact, but it's just not vastly superior to the $150 (technically $200) cheaper Macbook. Some people may use all the extra features, and in that case I'd say go for the Macbook Pro. Otherwise I'm standing strong to my opinion.