Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by td1988, Oct 24, 2010.

1. td1988 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a secondary laptop for work purposes, since my current 17'' Windows notebook is too large and heavy to be portable and serves more as a desktop replacement.

It's pretty much clear in my mind that I'm getting a Mac, since I've been through hell trying (and failing) to get Windows to run properly on a small laptop, I want something that's usable and reliable since this is the machine I'm going to be using on-the-go, and OSX seems infinitely better suited to that than Windows.

Looking on Apple's site, I notice that the entry-level Macbook and 13'' Macbook Pro models are very similar in price and specs, less than $100 between them, in fact. Being new to Macs in general, is there any major differences between the two that might sway me one way or the other? I'm particularly interested in battery life and screen quality. I'm leaning toward the pro right now, mainly on what I'm reading about build quality, but any info would be welcome. :)

2. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Battery life and screen quality should be identical, same with CPU. The differences are 4Gb RAm vs 2GB, faster transfer rates with Firewire 800 vs USB only, and backlit keys which are very nice and can be turned off. Also, the build quality is slightly better on the pro in terms of possible cracks on the body.

I think that is worth the difference if you can swing it - there is also a bit of the 'cool factor'. Places like Microcenter have special deals on pick-up only for the base 13" MBP for only $999. That is where I got mine.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd get the 13" MacBook Pro. Its quite a lot better for less than $100 ;)

4. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

This.

I honestly think the only reason Apple is still making the plastic Macbook is because it sells so darn well. Girls loves it unconditionally because of it's color.

5. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I totally agree, my sister would rather buy the MB. It's white.

Go for the Pro, the backlit keyboard is a no brainer and from a comparison between my MBP and a friend's MB, the Pro's screen looks better.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The have no idea, ah? My sister got the white one too - Just because its white - Not too logical :eek: