MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aviboy97, May 7, 2011.

1. Aviboy97 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm debating between a new MacBook 13" or MacBook Pro 13". The difference after the discounts I can get is roughly $150. I like the look of the MacBook Pro better, plus is has a better processor, more memory and more drive ports.

I would be using the computer for word processing, Internet access, pictures and video chat with friends and family.

Your thoughts??

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. Aviboy97 thread starter macrumors regular

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Definitely MBP, hands down. Better chassis, extra ports, more memory, backlit keyboard etc. and the MBP has recently been updated unlike the MB. Oh!... and the MBP looks a lot better! :)

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, the MacBook will probably be updated quite soon. If you wait for the update, the only difference will be the SD drive and the backlit keyboard. Are they - and the metal case - worth $150 to you?

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

No offense to Apple, but I think the plastic Macbook for $1000 is a blatant ripoff [it shouldn't be selling above $800 IMO].

The Macbook Pro, on the other hand, is well worth $1200. Think about what you're getting, aluminum chassis (thinner, stronger, more durable, and overall better quality), 2x the ram (4gb vs 2gb in Macbook), faster processor (although the GPUs are comparable), larger HDD, backlit keyboard, more ports (incl. SD card slot) and higher contrast screen.
    To me it's a no brainer, go with the MBP, it'll last you longer too.

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I wonder if they'll do thunderbolt in the MB. That could be a way to differentiate a pro line from the consumer macbook. Obviously it would stil be a displayport.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

As others have said, MBP hands down.

Regarding the MacBook, Apple should seriously update this thing with all the latest kit, discontinue it or push the price down to about £600 and have it compete in the PC consumer market. At the moment, the MB is too expensive for the average person for what it is.

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Either WAIT or get the Pro. I say wait because the MacBook is due an update and is the odd one out of the laptop family now so I suspect it won't be long before it get's that update....

However... having said that, mate get a Pro, you will not regret it, much more durable machine IMO.

10. davie18 macrumors regular

That's just sheer speculation. For all we know apple could just scrap the white macbook all together.

Even before the MBP line was updated I would have still said it was worth the extra money to go with the MBP but now as others have said it's a no brainer. I have no idea why anyone would buy a macbook at the minute.

11. mojitochica macrumors member

If you have a Micro Center nearby you can get the 13" MBP for the same price as the MB.

12. jimbo1mcm, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Mbp

No contest, not even close. Over a hundred years, that's only $1.50 a year.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No offense, buy you'd have to be an idiot to buy the regular MacBook instead of the MacBook Pro at the moment.

14. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

If you get a macbook youll be looking at the macbook pro and if you get the macbook pro youll be looking at nothing else :) trust me get something you wont regret the macbook pro is well worth the extra $$ if youre going to resort to a macbook

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

that's a tough question. it depends on how much you value cheap plastic and outdated components over one the most beautiful and cutting edge computers on the market (sandy bridge is tough to find outside thisline of computers).

however, from what you said about usage, you might also want to cconsider the macbook air. rumor is that it will be refreshed in a few weeks. the current model, though, isn't bad at all.

16. vnle macrumors 6502

Definitely mbp. The the metal casing is worth ~150 alone not to mention all the extra specs it comes with.

17. cirus macrumors 6502a

Go pro.

The 13 inch mbp is well worth its money now.

The macbook is not worth $800 compared to it.

18. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

+1