Macbook or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willgriffith24, Jul 27, 2011.

1. willgriffith24 macrumors newbie

New to Mac and looking to buy a laptop. Uses will include word processing, email, internet, and occasionally watching a dvd. No graphic design, photoshop or gaming.

I can get the Macbook for about $849 and the Pro for $1019 from Apple's store. The Macbook has 2 GB Ram and 250 GB hard drive with Intel Core 2 Duo. The Pro has $GB and 320 GB and i5.

I know some will say the upgrade is "worth" it. But really, for what I need, do I "need" it? I would prefer to save money if I can but still want a laptop to be a good machine for what I need. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

For your needs any Mac from 2006 and onwards will suffice, you don't need a MacBook Pro. The refurbished MB you seem to have in mind will more than suffice your computational needs. HDD and RAM can be upgraded by yourself if you want and need.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If you don't care so much about the DVD, you should really look at Macbook Airs. Unbelievably portable and very fast, they are great machines for the things you describe.

Best laptop I've ever owned and superior to the competition, imo. Once you get an Air, you will never go back to bulkier machines and will be happy you made the switch.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is pretty much my view, too, and I have a MBA. For sheer portability, superb screen resolution, and speed (the SSD), it is excellent.

If you think you may need more power, then a MBP is the answer, but, in your original post, the things which you say you will do are not excessively demanding on power.

However, if you do get a MBA, and do wish to burn CDs (some of us still do that) or watch a DVD, or load Office for Mac, you can always get an external superdrive.

Cheers

5. willgriffith24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have to watch the dvd's for work purposes. I guess I need to decide if this is going to replace my desktop of just compliment it.