Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Kaster, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Kaster macrumors newbie

I've been itching to replace my 7 year old laptop which has a Core 2 Duo P8400 at 2.26 GHz and 3 GB DDR2 RAM. I've had a PC for 17 years and this will be my first move to Mac.

I need a laptop that will process RAW images from my Canon DSLR and convert them to DNG. I also intend to use Photoshop and Lightroom to retouch photos.

My choice is between the new retina Macbook or 13" Macbook Pro. The Macbook is gorgeous but I've read concerns about the performance. I absolutely love the design and portability but it needs to be suitable for purpose.

What about the specs with the rMBP? Should I go with the 2.9GHz Core i5 or is it worth paying extra for the 3.1GHz Core i7? How about 8 GB RAM or 16 GB RAM? I want the laptop to last me many years into the future.

Do I need to make any other considerations before making a purchase?

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

i say go with MBP. the new macbook probably perform as well as your old laptop.

as for rMBP, definitely go with the base spec, you get minimal return for a lot of money in upgrades. (Ram is the only thing I would recommend)

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The rMB commands a hefty premium for being the thinnest Mac laptop - that is its main USP. The trade-off is with limited connectivity to peripherals , the Core-M processor and well, the price. As the other poster already recommended, you would be better off with the rMBP which comes with USB ports/ SD card slots to connect your DSLR and is also equipped with processors that can handle onerous workloads.

4. magamo macrumors 6502

Generally speaking, it's not the wisest thing to buy an ultra portable laptop that is only good enough for your current needs if you're planning on using it for many years to come. It may not become outdated so soon, and it may remain good enough for the basic things you do now. But in a few years you might find yourself wanting to do a little more demanding stuff you don't think you are going to do now. At that point, you might be left with an underpowered laptop that already lost its fanciness due to age and got marks and scratches instead. Besides, the 1st generation of a new model tends to get obsolete very quickly in terms of fanciness when fancier and functionally better successors get introduced.

Also, what seems like a little nuisance like lack of ports can be a big headache if you have to always face it for years. The new MacBook looks like a nice product if you don't mind getting another laptop with better functionality or replacing it once it loses its fanciness. But I'm not sure if it's the best machine for your needs...

So, if "future-proof" is an important factor, I'd say rMBP is a lot safer. It's got a lot more power at roughly the same price point. And even the low-end model will remain powerful for years.

5. Kaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

I've decided to go with the rMBP. I think that's the sensible choice. My old laptop is very sluggish and doesn't meet my performance needs. I will have to take it into the back yard with a shotgun and shoot it lol

6. rosario1990 macrumors regular

You laptop is 7 years old and it has gone near to dead. Better decision to replace a new on onto this. Go forward as you thinking to buy.