Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prozaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Hey all, I'm sure this question has been asked at least a dozen times. I read through the forums and didn't really see the answer I was looking for. So I currently have a 2014 11" MacBook Air, 128GB, and 4GB or RAM. I'm in the market for a new computer. Most typical stuff, web browsing, I do run parallels with Windows 10 for a few older Windows only games purchased via Steam. And once in a while I will download a movie via certain sites which allow you access to such content (*cough, cough, torrents, cough, cough*) and then I will convert the movie to the format of choice. That's really about it for usage. I've checked activity monitor with parallels/ Windows 10 running, multiple apps, and games running and am not even reaching the 4GB limit. As for storage with everything I have I still have 24GB free on my 128.

So my question is, should I get the MacBook, or the MacBook Pro at the same price. And with either one of those, should I upgrade the RAM to 16 or the storage to 256. I'm not able to do both right now, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Pockett

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2015
Since you mentioned that you do play older games and convert movies between different formats, I highly suggest the Macbook Pro especially since the baseline model is the same price. I'm afraid the MacBook will perform poorly in these tasks due to it's low-power CPU, so the MacBook is really only designed for light workloads such as web browsing or e-mail. I would also recommend upgrading the storage to 256 GB instead of the RAM to 16 GB as you mentioned that you also download movies, and since RAM upgrades are really only necessary if you are doing things like video editing or if you are heavily multi-tasking. Since the MacBook Pro comes stock with 8 GB of RAM, I believe it will be sufficient for the next few years.

Prozaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Awesome!, thank you for the recommendations! I was leaning towards the MBP, I just love the size and design of the MacBook.

ErnstStavroBlohard

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2016
The 12" is more capable than people give it credit for.

Apple has a 14 days, no questions asked return policy. Why not buy/try them both and keep the machine you like more?

Reactions: Jayderek

Eldar Gezalov

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Planet Earth
I'm afraid the MacBook will perform poorly in these tasks due to it's low-power CPU, so the MacBook is really only designed for light workloads such as web browsing or e-mail.

This is absolutely incorrect. MacBook is more than capable of performing the above stated tasks without any problems whatsoever. Unless it is a 4K video editing or 3D rendering, I doubt most people will even notice a difference between MacBook and MacBook Pro. I have both 12-inch (2017) and 13-inch MPB (2016, with a touch bar), and I prefer the 12-inch model for 99% of the time.

I recommend to pick up the base model of MacBook (2017), which by the way comes with 256 instead of similarly priced MBP and give it a try. You can always return it.

But considering that you come from 11-inch Air, I'm sure you will love the MacBook.

Prozaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
This is absolutely incorrect. MacBook is more than capable of performing the above stated tasks without any problems whatsoever. Unless it is a 4K video editing or 3D rendering, I doubt most people will even notice a difference between MacBook and MacBook Pro. I have both 12-inch (2017) and 13-inch MPB (2016, with a touch bar), and I prefer the 12-inch model for 99% of the time.

I recommend to pick up the base model of MacBook (2017), which by the way comes with 256 instead of similarly priced MBP and give it a try. You can always return it.

But considering that you come from 11-inch Air, I'm sure you will love the MacBook.
Good to know, thank you. I love the look and feel of the MacBook, I’m just not sure about the processing power for things beyond web browsing, documents, etc.

Prozaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017

[doublepost=1503621734][/doublepost]Also if I go with the MacBook, should I upgrade from the M3 or add in additional RAM, of will the base model be enough for my uses? Again, my 2014 11" MBA handles what I currently do, with the occasional performance hit. I usually upgrade computers about every four to five years.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
^I would go for the base model and plan on upgrading more regularly. The super low power chips are really the one area where fairly major advances are being made. My base model 2015 model is still doing everything I need it to. When it gets to 3 years old ill probably sell it and the base model 2018.

But if you want to get more life id probably go for ram over CPU. Because all of the chips are in the same ballpark for speed. Its not like the MBP range where the top 15" chip is a quad.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I think either could work for your needs - with the MBP being favored depending on the gaming specifics with its fan and higher base frequency.

A little less than a year ago, I asked how well the rMB ran VMs and the response was so/so. I then had a chance to run VMs on one and indeed it did not quite meet my needs between running the guest OS + the Apps I wanted to use. That was a 2016 model.

I am now typing this on a 2017 model, which has replaced my 13-inch MBP nTB. I like the rMB significantly more than my nTB - its fit and finish is IMO better and I dare say near flawless. Also, it's friggin gold in a world of silver and gray. The only games I play are solitaire and minesweeper. So I cant speak to the gaming part. But for general productivity with standard-use business-class Apps, the base 2017 is definitely capable enough. I also dig the keyboard change.

Prozaq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Nice! As for the games, I only play them occasionally so it's not like it's going to be a true "gaming machine". They're older games which run fine on my 2014 MacBook Air. So they shouldn't be an issue.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Since you mentioned that you do play older games and convert movies between different formats, I highly suggest the Macbook Pro especially since the baseline model is the same price. I'm afraid the MacBook will perform poorly in these tasks due to it's low-power CPU, so the MacBook is really only designed for light workloads such as web browsing or e-mail. I would also recommend upgrading the storage to 256 GB instead of the RAM to 16 GB as you mentioned that you also download movies, and since RAM upgrades are really only necessary if you are doing things like video editing or if you are heavily multi-tasking. Since the MacBook Pro comes stock with 8 GB of RAM, I believe it will be sufficient for the next few years.

nah he said he steals movies. guys a c...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.