MacBook, or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tumeg101, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

This will be my first ever laptop, and first mac I have owned... but I can't decide which to get!!

1) MacBook, 2.16ghz, 120gb HD(+ x-ternal HD) and upgrade ram to 2gb
    2) MacBook Pro, 2.2ghz, 2gb ram, 120gb HD(+ x-ternal HD(40gb)) 15" screen

I am waiting for leopard to be released before I make my decision final, so I have a while, if I get the pro, I will have to wait untill Mid January, so I can get more cash for it (Christmas + My B-Day in early january will get me extra cash)
    I will be using my macbook\macbook pro for the following:
    -Movie Editing
    -Photo Editing
    -DVD Burning\Making
    -School
    -Games (Small games if I get macbook, games like call of duty if I get pro)

and basically just stuff like that, I will be using iLife to the max, and will of course be using the internet,
    The reasons i would get the macbook or pro are...

MACBOOK - Looks nice, cheaper,
    PRO - Play games, bigger screen, the light-up keyboard,

also, while helping me with this decision, please keep in mind that this will be replacing my desktop, so this will be my main computer! I have never had a computer that has been able to play games like, call of duty, so the pro would be a nice change.
    From reading threads, the macbook seems to have less problems, but it doesn't seem like the kind of computer to replace a desktop, and the pro seems like more of a long term computer, but has allot of problems...

And my dad can get a good deal on macbooks, he can get them with no tax (pro or reg) and about $50-$100 off, same with all the accessories(including applecare)...

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense!!

2. Blueprint macrumors member

Go with the Pro if its to replace your desktop and to be used for the tasks you said,

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Me too

I'm in the exact same situation!

I either want a black macbook or a macbook pro. I think that the macbook pro is amazing but its a lot of money to fork over.

Portability is also something to keep in mind if you want to bring it to school.

I was also thinking of running vista or xp.

I look forward to seeing others opinions.

4. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I don't need much portability, and if I do need to move it, I can just throw it in my backpack,
    now that I am thinking more about it, I am thinking of buying the pro, I only have to wait about 2.5 months longer for it, and I am pretty sure those 2.5 months will be worth it, just for the bigger screen, and video card...
    But more opinions will still help!!!

I might also run windows XP on my comp, but just for the games, my dad can get XP for free, and my brother has call of duty for the pc already, and a few other good games, so I might just load XP on it for games, but I am not sure if that would slow down the macbook pro a bit, I am geussing it would but I am not sure

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

how old are you?

I'm fifteen and my birthdays on the 20th so i'm probably going to get it then.

I'm not sure how much I would use it at school put I guess it would be cool to have the ability to play games, although i'm not sure its worth the extra $200

6. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

im 14, :p

7. pscoble macrumors 6502

Mbp

I would go for the Macbook pro for sure (and I did :) ). If your going to be using any kinds of games the pro is a must. I've tried cod2 on a macbook and it was a disaster. Just wait the extra bit of time you really get a lot more ( size, power, light up keyboard :cool: etc).

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Unbelievable. 14? Your money should be put towards better things like dates. Anyways, just some social commentary. I say get the pro. I think it would be better for the tasks you mentioned. On the other hand, I have to ask whether or not a 14 year old really needs a mbp. You couldn't have earned much of your money. Whatever...as long as you appreciate what your parents' money has bought for you.

9. seany916 macrumors 6502

GET THE MACBOOK PRO!!!!!

If you can afford to not have the "toy" Macbook as your computer, get the Pro.

Between $12,000 for a crappy low end Kia or $16,000 for a Civic or more for an Accord/Camry, I'll pay more for the better one anyday.

Just get the Macbook Pro. You won't regret it.

The "value" and "savings" of the Macbook will be forgotten... but the quality and capability of the Pro will be at the tip of your fingers.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I wouldn't quite call the macbook a "toy." It's still a very capable machine that many people seem to be very happy with.

However, your value assessment is right on.

11. akam2 macrumors newbie

12. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

... I Have $1.1k so far, and my dad is gonna loan me w\e I else I need, and after Christmas and my B-Day I will prob have $1.5k, so only $400 away (my dad can get $100+ off the macbook pro)

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Right, but see my point? You aren't going to be working for your birthday or Christmas money. It's being given to you. I just think that if you're going to be "loaning" money from your parents at this point, you should rethink buying now. Why not wait until next summer? It'll be worth a lot more to you if you had to earn it somehow.

14. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I will still appreciate it, even if the money was given to me, I still appreciate it very much...

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well that's good. Enjoy your computer. Don't let my annoying opinions get in your way. You should get what you want and need.

16. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

just looked at my current comps specs...:eek:

it has, 1/4 of the ram that my macbook\pro will have, half the harddrive space, and half the ghz that it would have....

17. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Same here, I'm 14 also and I say get the MBP...

Especially the 15" baseline, (I'm planning on getting that also but middle)....

Playing games on your computer isn't worth it compare to playing games on a console, so if gaming is your thing I just suggest you stick w/ a good ol' X360.

If you're going to get a EHDD then go at least 250GB since you're replacing your desktop (w/ FW800).

But wow, you and I are in the exact same situation except for the 'no tax' part of the deal.

CalBoy - If his neighborhood is anything like mine, at 14, people don't go out on "dates". It's really sad, most kids here just ask the girl "do you want to go out w/ me?" then they just leave it at that or they just start making out, no dates, no dinners, except maybe flowers (but that's very rare). I only seen one person in my school actually treat a girl right (but still no dinner or anything like that) and he threw a hissy fit when she dumped him.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As is true of all consumers of technology. Things will always keep getting better. Even after you buy your mbp, this will happen. You can't let it bother you. As long as it does what you need to do, what does it matter? Be comforted by the fact that technology keeps getting better, not disturbed by it.

PS- If this bothers you know, imagine when you work hard for your money and have to save up one paycheck at a time;)

19. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

It's worse when you're a hardcore PC gamer....

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Dear lord, that requires an entire budget of its own! It's a good thing I've been able to stay away from too many games, because I have a feeling I'd become addicted, gain a lot of weight, and then become a shut-in. Thankfully, my mbp looks good anywhere I take it, which means I'll be taking it EVERYWHERE:cool:

21. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Since I have no patients, ima have my dad buy the pro, right when leopard comes out, and just owe him more, lol...

Mobility does not matter to me, because it will mainly stay in my house, either in my room, or downstairs while watching TV, only time it will ever leave home is when my family goes camping, or on vacation, lol, I have a feeling my MB or MBP will never leave my side, until of course, I have had it for a few months, and it's awesomeness's has worn off lol

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You don't have any patience, not patients. You can only have patients if you're a doctor of some kind.

Don't do this. Wait until at least December/Christmas time. The first Leopard release will have a few bugs. Plus, Christmas makes parents more charitable, and you might get the whole thing for free:D

Then the pro really is better for you. It weighs almost the same as the mb, so don't worry about that too much. I'm sure a strapping young lad such as yourself can carry all of 5.4lbs:)

23. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Omg, I am having mood swings (lol)

and oh, yeah... calboy, I can't spell :p

I am now thinken, "Why do I need a pro? Don't think I need the big screen, and I won't play games often, I am not a big gamer anyway, and... the MBP gets really hot, I wont be able to have it on my lap,"

If I get the MB - Can have it on my lap, ALLOT cheaper, can just upgrade the ram to 2gb and still save allot, looks more like a mac(lol, looks is everything), and I could have extra money for the accessories I want...

If I get the MBP - Can play games (which I doubt I will, I don't want to spend $50+ on games that I will only play a few times) Can't have it on my lap, doesn't look much like a mac(looks are everything), Bigger screen, but why do I need it? MBP has more problems then the MB,

For what I am doing, the MB with 1 extra gig of ram would be perfect, the MBP would just be too much, even though I am replacing my desktop, MB would be perfect, I could change the HD whenever I want, or even just add a extrernal HD (for free (my dad has tons of HD's at home and he can make some extrernal for free))
    Everyone here is saying "get the MBP!" because they are alll big computer users, I don't use it much,
    I am sure tomorow I will wake up thinken I will get the MBP, then the next day it will switch to the MB.... Oh'Welll....

24. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if this is going to be your only computer, i'd suggest getting a macbook pro for the screen size. working solely on a 13" screen can get tiresome, and it's always nice to have a little extra room to work with. i'm not convinced you need a macbook pro, but go for it if you can.

25. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I kind of had the same problem. I ended up getting a Macbook Pro and a small 12" Powerbook for classes.