Macbook or Macbook Pro ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alebar14, Jul 14, 2007.

1. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a new laptop for a mac.

I used to have an iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz and an eMac G4 700 Mhz which are sold it few months ago due to a financial problem.

Now I will be have some cash saved up in an upcoming 2-3 months later as I have a new job. I realize I want to stick with a portability computer as I will do freelance job later on in a near future.

I am a Graphic Designer and mainly I use iMac G5 in my office as to design a classified ads in a magazine publishing company which means I use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Microsoft Word.

I want a mac laptop for a freelance work in most print design (designing leaflet, business card, logos, etc) and photography design work too. I want my mac laptop to be used as a multi-entertainment: watch DVD, surfing internet, and chats. I want to use my mac laptop to play games such as The Sims 2 with its expansion packs. Most of the time I'd like to use it as to rip DVD movies.

For the last thing, In a future ( a year or so), I want to use my mac laptop to edit some video editing. I am planning to buy a HDV Sony camcorder in a near future and edit it using either iMovie HD or Final Cut Express. Nothing serious work for video editing in a year or so because I'd probably buy a Prosumer Sony HDV model.

So which one I should consider to buy:

High end Mac Book black/white OR
    Mac Book Pro ?

If a Mack Book Pro, what are the difference between :

2.2 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz ?

Thanx guys... looking forward for your further favor.

Warmest Regards,

Alexander Barus

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

macbook pro, if not for just the extra screen size/color accuracy of the matte screen or showing clients etc and definitely working on (if you don't have an LCD, although when you have a chance i'd get one if you don't have one already) .. if it's a bit pricey, go refurb 2.16 C2D they just lowered the prices to 1499. THey are great computers. Mine is great and it's a few versions before as you can see in my sig. MBP all the way. Better for businessy/freelance designer work.. and i think video editing may use the graphics card a bit there, and if you want to game that would be important too as the MB only has an integrated one.

GL with your new comp!

edit : where are you from?

3. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

;)

Thank you for your respond. I am from Indonesia. I was studying here in Auckland, New Zealand for a year earned a Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design and did only a year in Postgraduate Studies as I didn't completed the whole year (for MA).

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

if you are in school use your edu discount and then get your free ipod and sell it, that'll take 400 bucks off the hefty price tag