Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pumpkin King

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
I'm set on buying my first mac and am hoping for some advice on buying a macbook or macbook pro.

I'm a consultant and travel nearly 100%. I have a work laptop, so this would be the 2nd laptop I'd be traveling with; therefore it's between a macbook and the 15" macbook pro.

I'm a photography enthusiast looking to devote a lot more time to my hobby. I can pour through CF cards like water, so it would be nice to add a laptop to my kit. I'm also looking to get into web design although I' be a complete n00b.

Although the bigger screen would be nice, I view both as small and would do most photo editing on an external screen when I'm home. I'm most concerned about how well a macbook will handle photoshop, dreamweaver and maybe a few others later on. Is it excruciating or workable?

Thanks!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think a macbook would be able to handle what you want OK, but the mbp will do it better. However, I recommend the macbook pro for two reasons:

1. Matte screen. This is very precious to me, and if you are going to be traveling a lot, I'm sure you can appreciate how no glare can make a big difference.

2. It looks more professional. The macbook looks like it is a "college" computer. If you ever want to have clients look at something on your Mac, the mbp will be a much more impressive tool to have.

Add to that all the little niceties like a bigger trackpad, better speakers (I don't know if you care about that), a useless but fun backlit keyboard, and an extra FW port, and you see why I suggest the mbp if you have the money. Also, the weight difference is negligiable, so the mbp gives you more "computer" for the same weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.