Macbook or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rhodan, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Rhodan macrumors member

I've decided to make the switch to Mac for various reasons, and now I need to decide on which machine will suit me better.

I definitely need the portability, so it's either a Macbook or Macbook Pro.

What I'd be using the machine for:

- I have a Canon HV20 and will be editing HDV footage, probably with iMovie or Final Cut Express 4.0.
    - Editing photo's, and using a library app such as Lightroom to manage them all.
    - Extensive use of VMware Fusion, for my IT certification studies.
    - The usual email, web surfing, iTunes etc.

I will not be gaming on my Mac (Xbox 360 for that).

I will definitely be making the following upgrades:
    - 4gb RAM
    - External screen
    - 7200rpm internal drive

So, taking the above into consideration, will a Macbook suffice, or should I go Pro ?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Any time you're doing photo and video editing, you're better off with the fastest processor and most RAM you can afford. So you might be happier with a Pro.

EDIT: Is the MacBook even available with a 7200rpm drive? Also, don't forget all rumors point to refreshes for the Pro at Macworld in a few weeks...plus possibly a new sub-Macbook that might shake up the lineup and/or pricing.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'd go pro for the screen real estate when editing video. The macbook will get cramped with the two preview windows and the timeline there, plus you have to make room for the bins.
    Go pro.

4. Rhodan thread starter macrumors member

What if I was to always use the external screen when editing video or photo's, then the small screen wouldn't matter ?

I guess I'm trying to justify the price difference between a 2.2ghz Macbook and a 2.4ghz Macbook Pro, which are the two model's I'm interested in.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If it's going to be HDV and not just DV, id still go for the pro.

6. Rhodan thread starter macrumors member

Does the gfx card in the Pro make any difference when it comes to editing video ?

7. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

The Pro 2.4GHz+ also have much more upgraded video cards and don't share system memory. Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory vs. NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI. Since the Pro is also dual link, it can drive a higher resolution for an external monitor, in addition to the other benefits of increased and dedicated memory.

EDIT: You asked about the video card while I was posting that. I can't speak from personal experience to know if video scrubbing and playback would be noticeably different on the internal monitor with the better memory card. Certainly it doesn't hurt, especially for HD.

EDIT 2: Another good reason to go Pro - Firewire 800 port. MacBook only has 400.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

not unless you are going to be rendering a lot of 3d effects.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, unless you are using Motion (or Aperture for photos)

10. Rhodan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your replies.

So it seems the Macbook Pro is more suited to what I want to do. Can anyone recommend a very good quality external screen, something in the region of 23" / 24", 1900 x 1200 resolution ?

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Apple Cinema Display

12. alec macrumors regular

13. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

just a look at the graphics card in the Macbook tells me you want PRO!

Ha

wait until Janurary if you can thought, rumors are brewing of an update!

14. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Eizo Has some good one's as well as NEC check them out.

15. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

check out dell's monitors too...a forum favorite

16. fs454 macrumors 65816

Yeah, my Dell 2407WFP has been awesome. Originally I had a 2405FPW and after two years, it started having bad image persistence problems. Called dell up and they overnighted a 2407WFP to me. The box claimed refurb but this thing looked brand spanking new.

Dell also has a 24" 1920x1200 panel for around $400. It's missing the barrage of inputs commonly found on the bottom, but instead is just DVI and VGA. The panel specs look good, so this may interest you if you're looking for a cheaper one. I think this is what I'll get for monitor number two.

17. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I just got the gateway FHD2400 LCD for $450. I am very impressed so far. 1920X1200, lots of inputs (HDMI, component for example).