MacBook or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 26, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I know this question has been asked loads of times but here's my situation.

I was originally going to buy a Macbook Pro and an iMac (I've been waiting a long time for the Macbook Pro to be updated). However, I've since decided to go with a Mac Pro instead of the iMac, for various reasons.

I will be using a lot of Apples pro apps such as Final Cut Studio 2, and Logic Studio 8, along with Adobe CS3.

Now, I can't decide whether the Macbook Pro is really worth it for me, because most of my work will be done on the Mac Pro, and I could potentially save £400 by buying the Macbook instead of the Macbook Pro.

The difficulty is, until I get it, I don't know how much I will use it in addition to my Mac Pro (which I also haven't ordered yet), but my gut feeling is that it will only be used for web browsing and PHP/Web design and a little photoshop work (I could load CS2 on if CS3 is too much for it).

Given the uses, would I be better saving the £400 and putting it towards upgrades etc for the Mac Pro, or get the Macbook Pro?

2. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

Sounds like the macbook is ideal for what you will use it for. You will have all the power you will ever need in the mac pro, so just go with the macbook.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'll always recommend the MB over the MBP unless you have a specific need for the graphics card.

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Gazfocus your a funny dude. I think for the work you need to do a Macbook would benefit you and satisfy your needs. I type this on a Macbook Pro and I hardly even use its power.

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. Are there still issues with the cases cracking etc? I know there won't be much performance difference between the MB and MBP (other than graphics).

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

To everyones knowledge the case cracking is still and issue with certain people. Some people report they have cracked cases even though they baby their laptops. And some people abuse their MB and don't have any cracks.

If you were to get a crack, after reading all the posts, Apple would do the repair.

Just an FYI, my wifes MB hasn't cracked yet. She has almost had it for a year now.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yes, there's still a cracking issue because they haven't redesigned the case. Ditto with the flammable Magsafe issue. However, the Magsafe issue affects MBs and MBPs equally, so that's just a risk you take when buying an Apple laptop these days.

8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Hadn't heard of that ...

Thanks. With the HE store, you get 3 years warranty as standard too so wouldn't even need Apple Care

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Isn't the magsafe adapter covered under the warranty? I know the battery has a one year.

10. ewxlt macrumors regular

I vote both.

Get the MacBook now, then save a year and get a new Pro.:)

11. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Isn't the pro going to support the 8800 GT? That is a very nice card for the money.

12. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

You mean the Mac Pro? Yeah it's a BTO option which I'll be ordering. It's only £130 on top of the standard graphics which is a Radeon HD 2600

13. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Well the thing is, it's not a money issue to be honest, it's simply whether or not I'll need the power of the MBP.

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

From what you have told us the Macbook would be fine. The Macbook is a fast machine. Just wait til better x3100 drivers come out and it will fly!

15. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

One thing to point out with the Macbook is how easy it is to upgrade. The HDD and RAM is very very easy accessible. That is why I'm looking at getting a Macbook for work.

16. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks. That makes a lot of difference. I have a 320GB hard drive and 4GB Ram on order for the MBP I was going to order. It'll be easier on a Macbook in that case :)

17. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Oh totally!!! That was one reason why i was look at the MB. And if you read the forums a lot of people want user accessible HDD replacement for the MBP.

I am aware of the ifixit guide for the MBP but not a lot of people want to crack open their MBP to do that.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The MB just seems flimsy to me, I like the MBP. More ports, bigger screen.

19. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

All laptops seem flimsy to me. Every laptop on the market has its drawbacks. While the MB can can crack the MBP can dent. I think Apple choose plastic for the MB cause of a slight advantage with durability.

20. JesLam07 macrumors regular

JesLam07

I know a ton of people who run CS3 on their MacBooks so that shouldn't even be a problem. I'm in school for Graphic Design and I have a MacBook Pro, but that's just because I wanted the sweet graphics card. I'd say definitely go with the MacBook unless you need the graphics card.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My Powerbook has never had case issues. Plus they are easier to keep clean.

22. Tronix macrumors newbie

The MacBook is a cracking machine and is also very fast. The only thing you might not like is the screen, it might be a bit small for certain tasks like photoshop and web design.

If you went for the baseline spec MacBook and upgraded the ram too 2GB or 4GB of ram you will have a very fast laptop. I don't see any reason to go for the MBP unless you need the graphics power. There is not much difference between the speeds of the CPU and the hard drives are all the same speed.

I have photoshop CS3 on my laptop and it runs fine. When I had 1GB of ram it was a little bit sluggish for general use. But with 4GB of ram it fly's and runs real smooth same goes for dreamweaver CS3 and Flash CS3.

If I were you I would go for the MacBook baseline model unless you need a DVD-RW. But if you need a dedicated graphics card then get the MacBook pro. Which ever you go for you can get your ram direct from crucial, 4GB of ram for the MacBook can be had for £52 from the crucial website. A lot cheaper than apples prices for ram.

23. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I know what you mean. I had a Powerbook (see sig) and it was easy to keep clean and it only ever got dented once so I paid £40 for a new base and replaced the base.

I have a friend at work that used to have an iBook and he said even though he washed his hands before using it, it still managed to get filthy. Guess that's what you get with a white laptop though...probably why most laptops are silver/black.

24. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, I went to buy my 4GB Ram from crucial today as I had seen it earlier in the week for £52 but it's gone up to £58 now :(

I'm undecided regarding the DVD-RW requirements. I think it's old hat buying a laptop without DVD-RW but I hardly use the DVD-RW in my desktop PC let alone a laptop (other than for backing things up but I'll have a NAS drive for that).

Would also be easier if 10.5.2 comes with the remote optical drive software.

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I got the DVD drive due to the off-chance I'd need to burn restore DVDs or things of that nature.