MacBook or MacBook Pro???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chr1s60, Feb 26, 2008.

1. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I have been waiting to buy a new mac for a few months now. Originally I planned on getting the update MacBook Pro, but after the updates today I am unsure. Now I am between the Black MacBook and the 15" MacBook Pro. After making the changes I wanted to both, I ended up with $1,748.00 for the MB and $2,398 for the 15" MBP. I have it to where the only differences between the two is the 2" screen difference, glossy screen, multi-touch trackpad, and they backlit keyboard. Are those few differences worth the $600+ difference? I should also add that these prices include AppleCare.

Having never owned a Mac notebook, I thought I would ask what everyone thought. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to point out if I have stated something wrong or skipped over an important difference too. Thanks.

EDIT: I will be using it mainly for internet, photos, documents and occasionally some minor video stuff. No gaming.

2. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

It depends on what you're using it for. If you need the extra power for professional work or gaming, then go MBP. If you're just a casual user who does occasional gaming, the MB should be OK. But if you do gaming and get the MB, make sure that the graphics card can support the game because it's not that great.

3. GCY macrumors regular

Between the MB and MBP, the video card is basically the only major differences. U'll def. need the video card if ur gonna be doing anything heavy like editing, graphic, or gaming.

4. chr1s60 thread starter macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Thanks for the help. I think I am gonna go with the MBP. I would rather have the nicer model and not risk having to deal with my computer running slow.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

you could always grab a refurb mbp! The prices are AWESOME now. 1449 for a 2.2? or 1649 for a 2.4. Other then the multitouch trackpad on the newer ones, there isn't much new minus harddrive and processor bump, and you don't really need the power of the new ones, so i'd say refurb all the way. Great way to save a chunk of change. You can always get an external drive or replace it (heck have a certified person do it for you) for less then the new ones, and since you were in between a macbook and macbook pro again, multitouch probably isn't ahuge thing for you either. :) just my 2 cents