macbook or macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahmad123456789, Nov 5, 2008.

1. ahmad123456789 macrumors member

i will be using it for web browsing, apps, games(not to much because i own a ps3)photoshop, final cut scene 4 and others. i really think that the new macbook (2.4ghz) is really amazing beacause when i saw the benchmarks in xbench i saw that it outperformed the 2.2ghz old macbook pro and also outperformed the new macbook pro when it was using 9400 and when the macbook pro outperformed the macbook with 9600 i was just by 9. i really care about portability and play games like counter strike and others, run windows vista ultimate. idont care about firewire because all my things use usb and because i agree that usb will replace fw. also i saw that a company was creating a usb- fw cable. please help me.. the macbook pro that i am talking is the low end new model.(1999)

2. ahmad123456789 thread starter macrumors member

Hey Everyone... Please Answer Me. I Am Still Waiting Your Recomendations...

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I guess it just depends what screen size you want. Id go with the MacBook

4. Emerica macrumors member

If you are concerned with portability the Aluminum MacBook may be the better choice but the MBP is also extremely portable. How portable do you need your computer to be?

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

6. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

7. taskmaxter macrumors newbie

I went with the Macbook since I wanted the smaller overall size. I couldn't be happier with my choice. :)

8. MacJenn macrumors regular

Go with the Pro. It is superior. The vast majority who buy the reg Macbook do so because that is all they can afford which is fine. I always find it funny when they try to say they could of bought the Pro, but...... Whatever makes them feel better I guess.

If you can spare the extra money buy the best you can afford then you won't be regretting it later. The pro has a lot more features, but the best one is a nice screen. Not the cheap piece of trash they put in their cheap Macbooks.

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Exactly what I was thinking. Almost like he already knew what he wanted he just wanted us to push him over the edge.

10. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

Or people don't need the power of the MBP and go for the cheaper, smaller MB.

Seriously, the vast majority of people who buy the MacBook buy it because it's all they really need, and enjoy.

I don't need the power of a MacBook Pro, why would I even think about spending almost twice as much on a notebook I would never use for more than basic web browsing and writing papers? Hm?

Exactly. Your signature seems to show you have a bit against the MacBook, but you enjoyed your BlackBook, which makes little sense, but to each their own.

To the OP, I'd go with the MacBook, but that's personal preference. If you're not going to be doing anything graphics-intensive, why spend all of that money? You can use it for far better things. Like you said, you already have a PS3 for gaming, and Vista runs just fine on the MacBook. You could buy some RAM from Crucial, and maybe a larger harddrive, and still pay less than the MBP, and probably get some good usage on it. It's also a bit more portable, and you seem to not have the firewire issue.

Better yet, go into an authorized retailer if at all possible, and test both. Work with each for a few minutes, and a lot of times, if you ask an employee to test the weight and size, they'll let you pick them up, close the lid, feel the machine, etc. so you can get a feel for what you'll be lugging around everywhere.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Quite obviously, the Pro is better at most things and the 9600 is dedicated and is significantly better than the integrated 9400. If you have the extra $600, go for the Pro.

12. dual64bit macrumors 6502

The difference in price is big considering the minor differences. It's really about power with graphics, meaning Photoshop, Final Cut, Premier, etc.

My wife has the unibody MacBook and I have a unibody MBP. I play a lot of games, and wanted the faster graphics card and larger screen. It was worth the difference for me for that. If it wasn't for the games, the 13" is just as fast for everything else. The only noticeable difference is with games. Anything else loads the same speed. So if you don't play games or Final Cut, your not gaining anything except 800 Firewire and larger screen with the MBP...

13. ahmad123456789 thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone... i think i am getting the macbook 2.4 because games i will be playing are from steam so... also firewire is not an issue... i never knew about it until apple took it off from the macbooks.:D

14. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I just bought the 2.4 Macbook and love it. I also have a white Macbook and like the new one better. I just could not justify the MBP for what I do, all that I would benefit was the larger screen and be more of a pain to lug around in my briefcase. I am happy with this machine and could have afforded either one.

15. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

If you plan to play Valve Source games, the little 9400 GPU will be more then enough to run Half-life and Counterstrike flawlessly. As for Photoshop and other graphic programs - I know a professional illustrator who still uses an old first gen white Macbook (bought refurbished) and a high end external monitor for their work and have no problems with it. This guy is not poor, he earns 4K net in both their freelance jobs and assignments and can easily buy a high end Mac notebook or desktop. But he would rather have money in his investments and will only buy new when his machine breaks down. (He keeps very good care of his white Macbook)

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Which do you want more, portability or the better graphics card and screen quality?

17. ahmad123456789 thread starter macrumors member

i would like portability and graphics... would the macbook be enough?