Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, Nov 12, 2008.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

OK. I know this sounds so typical, but I need help.

I'll use it for:
    • Some CS3 Applications (No Photoshop)
    • IM/Chat
    • MS Office
    • Emails/Surfing the interwho
    • iTunes

At any one time I'll usually have open:

• Mail
    • Firefox
    • TextMate
    • Dw/Ai/Fl/Fw/Id
    • Terminal
    • iTunes
    • Adium
    • Word/Excel/Powerpoint

I'm leaning towards a baseline MBP. But I don't know. Btw, with the economy being what it is, I am in a budget-conscious mindset.

Thanks, :apple::apple::apple:.

PS: If you didn't know, :apple::apple::apple: is the new love and kisses.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If screen quality isn't a huge concern (for photo editing and such, not that you should be doing pro photo editing on a laptop) then go with the Macbook. It will be plenty fast for all the apps listed.

3. svndmvn Guest

people actually say a base 2.0 Ghz Macbook would do, some tests kinda demonstrated the difference between 2.0 and 2.4 is minimal, something like 4 seconds on a heavy processor using app
    the thing you'd need for a lot of apps would be RAM, so just buy one with 4GB straight from Apple or check yourself if 2 is enough and update it yourself later on..as the above poster pointed out, the only problem with macbooks is the screen, but I doubt a nice calibration won't do the job

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

a nice calibration WON'T do the job. The screen's blacks are horrible and no amount of calibration can fix that.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Go for the MBP. While it is a more powerful machine than the MB, the real reason to choose a MBP is the excellent screen, bigger in size and considerably better in qualitythan that of the MB.

Cheers

6. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. So I think I've decided to go with the Macbook Pro. When is the best time to buy (sale-wise) and where from (preferably Apple, duh)?

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Now is as good as time as any to buy since Apple just updated the line. You've already answered the question of where to buy.

8. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

There's an article about Black Friday sales so if you're not in a huge hurry, you could wait to see what comes out.

Sounds like you've decided but for me, the other difference was portability. I have a 15" PB G4 which I love, but I felt that the MBs were significantly more portable & easier to tote around, so I went with the 2.4 MB. I know people say the screens are bad, but I have no complaints about it.

Good luck!

9. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I personally would NOT buy RAM from Apple b/c it is so overpriced, and easy to install yourself.
    There are numerous threads (and I believe a sticky thread) here at MR which discuss RAM.

Good luck!

10. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Does the Apple Store have Black Friday Sales on MB & MBP?

Last year the one item I bought from the Apple Store the day after Thanksgiving wasn't on sale. (iPod Touch)

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Apple RAM is very well priced right now. Four gigs of DDR3 will run you about $140 online, Apple is charging $150 to install it. It's a very good deal.

Now, in six months when DDR3 prices fall and Apple is still charging $150, it won't be a good deal. But right now, there's no reason not to buy from Apple. :)