Macbook Or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nintendolinky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

Hello everyone.
    On the 3rd of January, i bought a new Macbook from a Apple Retail store in Birmingham, UK. Its the 2.4 ghz model, with 4GB Ram, and i bought AppleCare. I upgraded the hard drive myself to 500GB.
    Now the problem is, im beginning to lust over the 15" Macbook Pro. Will Apple allow me to trade what i currently have for a base level macbook pro, and allow me to put my hard drive and memory into the new Macbook Pro. Also will they allow me to do this at all. I love the Macbook but i want the best i can get and afford, and would love the screen size and overall better quality of a Macbook pro, than the current Macbook.
    What are your opinions guys and gals, and thanks for any help

2. mark34 macrumors 6502a

The MBP's are great. Just make sure you are ok with lugging around the extra size and weight. It isn't a huge difference on paper, but it is definitely a larger creature. Personally I cannot imagine using a laptop with a screen larger than 13", but then again I have a desktop as well.

I had the Air and absolutely love the form factor. The new MacBooks, to me, found the best compromise of performance, features, and size. I felt the increase in weight was worth the functionality and performance improvement.

The one thing I was worried about was the downgrade in screen quality from Air to MB. I am not a photo pro. I do see the difference, primarily in viewing angle and blacks, but it is still a wonderful screen. You would be going the opposite direction. It will be a nicer screen, but for most I believe the difference is over-hyped. I am a home theater fanatic, but my laptop is not a theater. Besides, unless you are trying to watch from an angle, the difference is marginal.

3. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your response. Do you think i will be able to do what i want to do. What about the upgrades made, and what not. Im planning on doing all this tomorrow. Also as ive upgraded the hard drive. what will i do about that.

4. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

You can put the original harddrive back into the MacBook along with the original RAM, and pay the restocking fee.

In the end, you'll be paying at least $120 more because of said fee.

You have 2 weeks after your original purchase to do this.

5. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

The ram was upgraded direct through Apple. Ive also just rang the store and i was speaking to one person, who said that when i upgraded the hard drive, i was voiding warranty as its not a user serviceable part. I promptly told her, that it was and she got a bit confused. Overall i spoke to two people and they never mentioned anything about a restocking fee. Will i have to pay this, im really confused.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

you have 14 days from the date of purchase to exchange. I think they'll let you do it. If you ask nicely, I think an apple genius would help you transfer your data. I doubt they'd let you exchange the RAM because that would basically be like letting you *keep* the RAM that came in your computer. You'll have to pay for the RAM upgrade. But, other than that, I think you'll be in luck. I don't think you'll have to pay a restocking fee. I think those apply to returns, not exchanges. Do you have the original hard drive? If so, put it back in the macbook and keep hard drive you bought. You did NOT void the warranty by upgrading the hard drive. That IS a user serviceable part.

7. Nintendolinky thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for ya info. However i dont have the original hard drive, if i could get hold of an original macbook 250gb hard drive could i use that instead.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Hmmm.... I don't know. You might need to call Apple on that one. Maybe they'll play ball and switch out the stock drive in your newly purchased macbook pro. maybe you'll have to buy a new drive. This doesn't seem like a scenario that they deal with often, so i would guess that the answers you get will vary depending on the person you talk to. And maybe the UK has different laws regarding this type of thing than in the US. Wish I could tell you more, but it would just be a guess.

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I dont know if Apple is the same but with Best Buy, as long as your 'upgrading' they dont charge the restocking fee.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

They will let you exchange the machine there is no restocking fee in the UK. However you will need the original HDD. The machine needs to be in the same state they sold it to you for inventory purpose. Did you not originally ask for advice prior in Jan of which machine to get? I think most recommended the MBP but you decided to go for the MB.

Best of luck but you will need the original HDD.