Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

da meat tree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Hey, I'm a high school student that does alot of video editing, and alot of after effects work as well as photoshop and audio editing.

I was wondering what the difference between rendering videos with the Macbook was vs. the macbook pro. Also, the performance in games such as Left 4 Dead and TF2 between the two as well. Screen size doesn't really matter for me because I will be using an external display. I am also planning to carry the laptop around with me alot.

Thanks

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
The MacBook Pro. Features which will aid are:

-9600M GPU (Photoshop and video editing apps will need it)
-HDD @7200prm
-2.8GHz Processor (the 0.4 difference decreases noticeably rendering times)

Just get a 15" MBP (since you're planning to carry it a lot) with the specs above and 4GB of RAM and it'll be perfect.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
I believe with the pro having a dedicated graphic card you should notice a decent amount of a difference. If price isnt a big issue go pro.

da meat tree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Thank you so far, one more question.

Is it possible for me to hook up 2 external monitors to the MBP? Both through DVI

da meat tree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I have 2 monitors, 1 2243BW Samsung which is connected to my computer through DVI, and a 19" acer which is connected through dvi, is there anyway to connect both to the macbook through the mini display port?

LionsKiss

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
HK
I have 2 monitors, 1 2243BW Samsung which is connected to my computer through DVI, and a 19" acer which is connected through dvi, is there anyway to connect both to the macbook through the mini display port?

There is an add-on you can buy to do that.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/solutions/mac/

frog.jpg

Matrox Graphics eXpansion Modules (GXM) connect externally to your system to add up to three monitors to your Mac notebook or desktop computer, eliminating desktop clutter. See more, do more and be more productive.

It requires DVI connection.

Edit:Just so you know. This makes your laptop into see a very wide resolution, which then gets divided into two/three screens.

DualHead2Go_tech_diagram.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.