Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
right now i have a ibook g4 and i need to upgrade desperately. i was originally going to get the mbp since it had a video card but now since the new macbooks also do idk what one to get. my friend picked up a macbook the 2.4 ghz one (1599) and i like it a lot . i have a 12 inch ibook so im used to the smaller laptop. I went to the store today and im not sure if i want the pro it seems a bit big and bulky. i bring my laptop everywhere literally. To friends house, vacations, local starbucks.. what do you guys think i should do?
i use my computer for a lot of photography work with lightroom and photoshop btw.
thanks
espo

nebarik

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
macbook sounds like the winner to me. if your already used to a smaller laptop and do carry it around everywhere. go macbook.

you'll be saving a fair bit of money too.

by the best of my knowledge, photoshop should run fine

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
is there a difference between the two machines between the screen size? i know both have 2gb of ram 2.4 ghz and 250gb hard drive..

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
the diffrence...

the diffrence is the graphics. the macbook has a 9400m integrated and the Macbook pro has a 9400m and a 9600gt dedicated card

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
if you need firewire get the pro. i had the macbook but returned it and got the pro because i have a very high end video camera (canon xl1) and i wanted to be able to actually use it. Yes i liked the smaller profile of the macbook but since making the switch i am definitely used to the size - it's not that much bigger and i'll tell you this: the speakers on the pro blow the doors off the macbook. is it worth $300 or 400 more? again, i needed firewire so i had to bite the bullet.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
im sure both will blow away my ibook g4 1.33 ghz single core processor power pc lol i guess i have to sit at the apple store and see if i want a big laptop or a small one..

PC2MAC16

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
I've been contemplating with the same decision before finally pulled the trigger on the smaller footprint Macbook. While I like to have the ability to edit video once in a while, I've decided to go with more portability. It's only one pound difference between the two models; however, for the amount of travel I felt I should not give my shoulder the extra workout on a daily basis :)

Should definitely try it out at the store. You might want to go to Best Buy (if you have access in your area) as you can stack one machine on top of another for comparison. At Apple store, they usually have a different counter for these two models.

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
I've been contemplating with the same decision before finally pulled the trigger on the smaller footprint Macbook. While I like to have the ability to edit video once in a while, I've decided to go with more portability. It's only one pound difference between the two models; however, for the amount of travel I felt I should not give my shoulder the extra workout on a daily basis :)

Should definitely try it out at the store. You might want to go to Best Buy (if you have access in your area) as you can stack one machine on top of another for comparison. At Apple store, they usually have a different counter for these two models.

Again, to each his own -- and I played around with both at the Apple store and yeah it would have been a no brainer if the MacBook had a firewire port -- even 400 would have been fine by me, but now that I did get the MBPro, it really doesn't seem that big and with a Brenthaven Eclipse II case which is a pretty small profile it seems very portable to me.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
i dont use firewire since i dont use video cameras only slr photo camera's however i think i might just get the pro and if i find it too big and bulky i can always take it back within 30 days i believe and get the macbook.
thanks guys
espo

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
i dont use firewire since i dont use video cameras only slr photo camera's however i think i might just get the pro and if i find it too big and bulky i can always take it back within 30 days i believe and get the macbook.
thanks guys
espo

yes but careful because they will hit you with a 10% restocking fee. Sometimes they'll be nice and waive it (they did for me because I am in my local Apple store a lot and buy a decent amount -- and the guy who sold me the MacBook said he was almost positive there was a USB to firewire adapter you could get--yeah, there is...for Windows only right now--so I played that card too and they worked with me. But just be careful because that would otherwise be $200 wasted should you choose to return it.

kp98072

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
yes but careful because they will hit you with a 10% restocking fee. Sometimes they'll be nice and waive it (they did for me because I am in my local Apple store a lot and buy a decent amount -- and the guy who sold me the MacBook said he was almost positive there was a USB to firewire adapter you could get--yeah, there is...for Windows only right now--so I played that card too and they worked with me. But just be careful because that would otherwise be $200 wasted should you choose to return it.

Hi there I am in this situation right now want to return the MBP for the MP. BUT i dont get your rationale of almost positive there was a USB to firewire adapter you could get--yeah, there is...for Windows only right now-. It sounds good but if you are going from a MBP to a MB why would you need the USB to firewire adapter? Let me know thanks!

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
Hi there I am in this situation right now want to return the MBP for the MP. BUT i dont get your rationale of almost positive there was a USB to firewire adapter you could get--yeah, there is...for Windows only right now-. It sounds good but if you are going from a MBP to a MB why would you need the USB to firewire adapter? Let me know thanks!

because the aluminum MacBook doesn't have a Firewire port. But nevertheless, I am still not aware of an USB to Firewire cable that works with Mac so if you need Firewire get the white MacBook or keep your MB Pro.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Well I just bought a stock Macbook aluminum 2.4ghz and could not be happier. Its an awesome machine. Excellent build quality, quiet, fast, great keyboard, great screen, light(ish) etc. Its a brilliant package.
The MB Pro is also superb of course, but I already have an iMac at home so for me the MB was best solution .. maybe in a years time the MBA will become the ultimate 2nd machine choice but right now the MB is the perfect solution for my needs.
Vanilla

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I'm ordering the NVidia whitebook , it'll do everything the base aluminum macbook will do ...just costs less :)

kp98072

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2009
thanks guys
espo

did you get one yet? if so what? im in the same situation! thanks
KP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.