MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chessv, May 12, 2010.

1. chessv macrumors newbie

Greetings everyone,

I am planning to purchase my very first mac in the coming weeks. I am still debating on whether to purchase the unibody Mac or the MacBook Pro. I plan on using the laptop for GarageBand, surfing the internet and email. Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks guys!!!!!!!

2. chessv thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes around 1,000 plus I will get a employee discount when I purchase the laptop.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

What are you going to be using the machine for?

If you're not opposed to refurbished, you can get a previous generation entry-level 13" MBP for only $929, bu there is no employee discount on refurbished computers.

They have been tested over again by Apple, and any defective parts have been replaced. They come with the same software you'd get from buying new and you'd get the same 1 year warranty plus the option of buying Apple care.

The white MacBook has a slightly larger hard drive than the refurbished, (250 vs 160).
    The MacBook Pro has an SD Card slot and FireWire, both of which are absent on the MacBook.

Of course, this is just comparing the refurbished MBP to a new MB.

4. davidw macrumors member

The base 13" MBP is probably your best bet. You need 4 GB of RAM in any modern computer and it comes standard with the 13" MBP. To upgrade a MacBook to that amount costs $120 from Crucial (a good and generally inexpensive 3rd party supplier) which ups the base cost of the unibody plastic MacBook considerably.

At that point, the minimal cost to get the additional features of the MBP (one cable mini displayport to HDMI solution, aluminum casing, better screen, better battery life, backlit keys, FireWire 800, etc) makes this decision a no-brainer.

You can get a MBP for $1049 from MacConnection.

5. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

So, with about a $1,100-1,200 you can get the 2.4 Ghz MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM. With a discount it should be $999. The refurbs are also very tempting, but it is up to you if saving the money is worth it. Another important thing to look into is AppleCare, which extends the waranty

6. chessv thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on using it for making music and surfing the internet.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Based on that, you would do well with any of the options already presented in the thread.

I guess it depends on 2 things: aesthetics and how much you're willing to spend. If you can swing it, the new 13" MBP is fantastic: new graphics, 4GB of RAM and the battery are all great features. If you like the look of the Aluminum Unibody, but can't quite swing the new 13, the refurbished is a great option.

Personally, I don't like the new look of the plastic unibody, so I wouldn't even consider it, but that's just me personally. From a spec and price (w/ discount) standpoint, though, it falls more or less on par with the refurbished MBP.

8. brendu macrumors 68020

OP do you live near a microcenter? if so Macbook all the way as they sell the newest model for $799 and they will sell you the 4GB ram upgrade for $100... so total $899+Tax for a brand new macbook with 4GB ram...

otherwise entry level MBP is a great machine and well worth the couple hundred extra... I would not pay $1000 for the white macbook.

9. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

10. metalsquid macrumors newbie

if you're gonna do audio recording I would recommend the MBP as it has a Firewire port. this will open up your options later on if you need to use firewire audio interfaces or external harddrives. otherwise you'll be restricted to USB-only devices with a macbook.

11. Pojo458 macrumors member

Pojo458

Really depends on how much money you want to shell out, I went with the maxed out macbook since it was cheaper than going with the mbp and it works great:D

12. txnoob macrumors 6502

I just made this decision a few days ago, and went with the MBP 13. To me so far just the illuminated keyboard has been so worth it. It feels much more solid (to me) than the MB, and like others have said, it's really only an $80 difference when you consider the memory. The screen is fantastic and it is so freakin fast. I have an earl '09 Mac Mini, and this thing is noticeably faster with the same amount of RAM and only 400Mhz faster.

If the initial $$ are what's holding you back, I'd save a little bit longer. To me it seems worth the extra $200.

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Get the MacBook. You're not doing anything all that intense. It will be more than fine for you.

15. nealjack62 macrumors newbie

yeah, go with macbook. its enough for you to use

16. txnoob macrumors 6502

MBP 13" on sale at Fry's Electronics for 999.99

If you're in the US and have a Fry's Electronics near you, the MBP 13" just went on sale today for 999.99