Macbook or Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ethnarg, May 26, 2010.

1. Ethnarg macrumors newbie

I am currently looking to purchase my first Mac, and I need a bit of advice as to which one I should go with.

Right now im looking at the Macbook and the 13'' Macbook Pro. I am a college student, and I enjoy my fair share of photography and graphics design. Would a Macbook be able to suit my needs just as well as a Macbook pro? Or would the Macbook pro be worth the extra 150 or so? Is the backlit keyboard, SD slot

Im willing to spend more money to get the 13'' MBP but if the same job can be done with a MB then id rather spend less money.

Any help will be awesome! Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you're comparing the MacBook 2.4GHz to the 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, the MacBook can do the same thing as the MacBook Pro, for less money.

Get the MacBook (unless you really want the SD card slot, backlit keyboard, FireWire, or aluminum body).

3. Ethnarg thread starter macrumors newbie

That's something I forgot to ask in my first post, is the aluminum body better than the polycarbonate? Or would that mainly be personal preferance?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Personal preference. If you're into photography the SD slot in the MBP will be handy unless you already have an external reader to plug in.

5. Raje macrumors member

Get the MBP. It has an extra 2gb of ram which is an extra $100 over the MB. So the SD card slot, aluminum unibody, firewire, and Backlit keyboard are definitely worth $50

6. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

i am not really sure but i think aluminum release the Temp better so your macbook pro stay cooler hat's what i considered when i wanted to buy a macbook pro

7. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

YES YESSSSSSSSSS He's defiantly right

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

+1.

Good advice.

9. EasyJW macrumors member

I'd get the mbp due to the extra ram and backlit keyboard, also i think that the aluminium body is nicer[​IMG]

10. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

hey today i went to apple store and i had a look on mb and mbp13 and i think mbp13 has a better display than mb even though spec are the same but it looks much better

11. Ethnarg thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks a lot guys! Looks like i'll be buying a MBP 13 very soon then :D

12. sunshadow macrumors member

I was also looking at the regular and the pro. The no SD slot and no firewire did it for me. I haven't seen any laptops w/o an SD slot in a long time. I hate having to carry around dongles. My current laptop doesn't do SDHC so now I have to use a dongle for any of my new sdhc cards. Anyway, if I buy a macbook I'm definitely going for the pro.

13. melvinchien macrumors newbie

very good decision! i just bought one myself. I am guessing you are getting the lower end one?

14. Ethnarg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the base model :D